Nipples Ouch!! BF Help!!!

edited October 2011 in Breastfeeding
OMG my poor nipples are cracked and bleedy, they hurt to touch, feeding is almost unbearable, makes me cry! Imma stick with it but OMG OUCH!!! I put soothies on them and lanolin stuff after every feeding, But nothing I do makes it feel any better!!! HELP!!!! I need any and ever trick of the trade here!! he gets an amazing latch, my bf consultant says I'm pro at it and he cooperates wonderfully, but his suction is so strong idk what to do!! I will NOT quit breastfeeding, its too convenient and cute lol!! My son is only 5 days old, so I know it will get better... but anything that will help????

Comments

• Maybe try to pump and let ur nipples air dry Maybe
  • Try a nipple shield! Worked great for me. I was about to give up just the other day. Used one for just one day and it gave enough time for them to heal a bit. Now I can bf without it. Still sore on one nipple, for some reason she doesn't want to latch properly on one side
  • Call ur doc, mine have me a prescription for some cream that healed them quickly, u may also want to see a lactation consultant, it sounds like a bad latch
  • @squirt299 I tried that, but the pump hurts my nipples as well :( Imma keep doing that tho cuz I gotta store up a bit for his grandparents!

@heyitsme can you get them at walmart?? I will get some later today and give that a try!!
  • @jbandno3 I will call about the perscription stuff right away actually!! But my lactation consultant told me he has an amazing latch :( he just sucks really really hard.
  • Dont try a sheid just yet. They can get used to it and then wont take the bear nipple
  • Better cream, you can ask your dr, and let the nipple air dry after a nursing session.
    Other than that just keep toughing it out, they will get used to it soon it just might take a couple weeks
  • I think u should be able to. I got mine from my health nurse. Maybe you LC can get u one? They come in different sizes and I'm not sure how you figure out what one to use. I have a medela 24mm & if u use a pump it should be the same size as the pump. Good luck! @sunshinelove
  • @proudmommy8789 true true! Prolly should wait a few weeks for that one if it doesnt get better!

@littlefae will do!! I have faith it will get better in time, just grit my teeth and bear it!
  • @proudmommy8789 I used mine at 5 days old and she takes the nipple just fine. You don't hae to use it every feeding. Using the shield just a few feedings out of the day gives great relief. Like I said I almost gave up bfing because of the pain but the shield saved me!
  • It gets better around the 2nd week, your nips will toughen out. Good luck mama :D
  • Girl I'm in so much pain too I'm pumping and it don't really hurt
  • Try used ice tea bags. Like get the wet and then rest them on your nipples! They helped my sister tons and i haven't tried it since I'm only 2 days in lol
  • Try leaving some milk on them after n it usually soothes them
  • Put some milk on them when he's done. Heard it helps and don't try a shiekd just yet.. it gets better..
  • @dra765 @reemama I will def try that like right now actually! @alyssa_mae Ill pick some up at wal mart!!
  • Spritz some breast pads with water and put them in the freezer before nursing and put them in your bra after. Or they make these things called nipple shells.. they keep your bra off of your nipple so they can heal. They look funny in your bra, but they feel nice..
  • My lactation consultant said using the shields is fine and you just ween them from it when you don't hurt as bad. I could not find them at walmart but I believe target has them and I know babies r us for sure. Mine are medela so check by the pump parts.
    In my experience with them I just used them a couple times when I was in a lot of pain. She continued to latch fine when I took it off. Good luck!
  • @lucyloo288 I just put them in the freezer, just waiting on them to cool off... it sounds amazing actually lol!
  • Are you breaking your babies latch with you finger before taking off the breast? My niece was not and her nipples were so sore, once she started breaking the suction of the latch her nipples healed right up.
  • @granny2b I wasn't for the first couple of days but I have been lately! Mostly he just lets go on his own or falls asleep and stops suction. I could probably do better at doing that consistently. Idk what happens half the time at night tho cuz we both fall asleep during feedings, half the time I wake back up with him still attached so that could be a reason why actually.
  • Jyst keep on going! I promise by week 3-4 you'll be all fixed up! I cried so many times & was ready to give up. I bit down on my teeth not wanting to feed her, bbut knew ii had to. Now, 6+ wks, everything is fine and im still exclusive breastfeeding.
  • @caroline8_p Thats basically what Im doing!! Gritting my teeth and bearing it! I cry my eyes out half the feedings but I refuse to give up!! he deserves the best form of food and Imma give it to him!!