breastfeeding/pumping

edited October 2011 in Breastfeeding
So I am breastfeeding of course, baby was just born on Monday night. Im pumping to ensure my milk supply comes in.
I was just curious as too how much I should be pumping each time... I pump for about 10-20min a few extra min on my right side because I don't have as much coming out of that one.
She does latch on good, with the help of the nipple shield, just want to make sure im getting her enough milk!

Comments

• How much you pump doesnt determine how much baby is getting. The suction is different than babies suck. So if she's having good poops and wet diapers im sure she's just fine momma.:)
  • @baybee1aug10 I know, im just curious Haha she is only 3 days old so my milk has just started to come in. Hasn't had a non black tar poop yet..I know I should not worry about it and it will be fine Haha its just what I do..but it sure is nice to be home!
  • Hey glad Ur home an feeling good! I am the same way worrying about my milk supply. @math_mommy @ashleyfew and @bahamamama4828 has all really helpd me a lot an answered a lot of my questions an has been great with reassuring me. I know its so hard not to worry!
  • I know youre glad to be home!:) but i thought my little guys poop would never change. Haha
  • I asked my doc this same question and he told me 15 min per side...and if milk is still coming out after 15 min to keep going until it stops....you want to make sure you get the hind milk that comes out last because that is where all the calories are.
  • I usually feed Daniel after Im done pumping simply because he gets it out better. That way theres some hindmilk in the bottle and lots of hindmilk in his tummy. :)