Can you do this with bottles?

edited October 2011 in Breastfeeding
Can you take a bottle out of the fridge, warm it up, then if he doesn't drink it all, put it back in the fridge and use the rest later? I know you can't thaw stuff then refreeze but can you if it's in the fridge?

Comments

• edited October 2011
    I think once it is warmed and has been drunk from it has to be used with in the hour or 2 hours (which ever the formula says) even if you do put it back in the fridge. If you put it back in the fridge after it was used I am sure it can be warmed back up and finished before the hour or 2 hours is up though.

Im a first time mom and baby isn't even here yet but I worked in the infant room at a day care for 2 years and thats how we had to do it. Not sure if it was just rules for the daycare or not though!

Hope all that makes sence!
  • I don't think so. I think once you start feeding you can't put it back in the fridge. Breastmilk is good for 5 or 6 hrs at room temp though.
  • Hrm, two totally different answers! lol thank you ladies, I guess I'll try to google it!
  • No you can not! Once milk has been used it has to be disposed after use. If its the ready to feed formula can be refigerated in its original bottle after opening it can be used within 3 days of opened container..
  • It's breast milk that I pumped but okie, thank you!
  • I always heard you have to use it the same day. That's what I go by
  • okay heres what I do lol. I heat my milk and if she doesnt want it(she doesnt take bottles but I try anyways) I put it back in the fridge. And ill use it the next feeding. But I dont put it backin the fridge after that I toss it
  • I put my milk back in the fridge. As long as its used the next feeding, you should be ok. It's hard to throw breastmilk away. I feel like I work hard to get that :P
  • Yea ur fine with in 2 hrs
  • @becci, that's also what I've heard but more specifically at the next feeding. I think you can even leave it at room temperature for up to 4 hours, I believe.