my son hit his head and has a gash... (pic)

edited October 2011 in Parenting
Idk what to put this under... anyway.. my 5yr old was playing with his friend and he bumped into my son and my son hit his head pretty hard against a corner of a wall. He came to me holding his head then I noticed blood running down the side of his head down to his neck and soaking his shirt. I tried to control the bleeding while keeping my cool (I was freaking the hell out) this happened around 630 we came home around 830 bathed him and cleaned up the cut and put a wrap around his head with cotton swabs on the gash. I checked on him at around 1030 and the wrap was soaked with blood, and he stained his pillow :'( he doesn't have health insurance and we are broke. But if he needs stitches I'll take him to the ER or urgent care. I think the bleeding has stopped now. What do you guys think? Does it look like he needs stitches? Hubby says no but I'm worried especially if he keeps bleeding.

Comments

• Ya that needs about 2 stitches from what I see :(
  • You dont qualify fo state aid?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yes he needs stitches take him in
  • I'm so sorry Hun poor little guy
  • Oh no :( ... I can't find his medicaid card for october idk if his coverage ended or what :(... I have his medicaid number I'll call his doctor and have them check to see if he's still covered my poor baby.. the gash is about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch long @kingsmama @jess510 @marinesangel
  • Ya if its that long especially on the skull it will need a few stitches. Either way if u don't have insurance the hospital can't turn u away.
  • U can take him in and then give them the info later plus the hospital can make payment arrangements if hes not covered anymore
  • @momof22be I know my poor baby, he freaks out when he sees blood so you can just imagine how he reacted :(.. I'm taking him first thing in the morning unless he soaks the wrap again then I'll take him to the ER tonight
  • Just take him in. I know here in ca you can have them pay retro active if for some reason it got canceled.
  • I checked his status with his plan and he's active! THANK GOD!! I will be taking him first thing in the morning to his dr. The hospital here sucks! They take forever I'll probably be seen around the time my sons dr office opens so I'll just wait. Thanks guys!! I knew I was right! Hubby doesn't know what he's talking about, momma knows best :) lol.. @jess510 @momof22be @kingsmama
    @marinesangel
  • If u wait too long they won't be able to stitch it up. I would take him in now if I were u. I think its like 4-8hrs after the injury and they can't close it. Plus he needs it cleaned out.
  • Really?? Oh man... guess I gotta find a sitter for my 2 month old so I can take him in.. thanks! @kingsmama
  • No hun :) lemme know how many he needed and if he's ok. :)
  • Let me know too.
  • I would for sure go in now that you know his still covered because his lost a lot of blood already and thats his head they see going to want to clean it up as soon as possible. Best of luck let us know what happens
  • Didn't look at the pic cuz I have a weak stomach but I hope he's okay!
  • Yep i would check asap he could have a concussion
  • Well the dr JUST now came in!! We got here around 2am... ridiculous how long they take and of course by now its too late for stitches which he would've needed. He's. Getting an xray to make sure he didn't hurt his head and that's about it. He said it'll. Heal fine, just to keep a dressing on it. Next time I'm going with my instict (I wanted to take him to the er right away). Thank you ladies :) @kingsmama @momof22be
  • ERs take forever! Good to hear lil man is gonna be okay tho! :)
  • Glad hes fine. I would of freaked out and rushed to the er. But they take less then an hour the do stuff at my hospital
  • Glad he's ok. And now u know for the future that if he needs stitches go immediately cuz if u wait too long its too late to do anything :)
  • I'm glad hes ok mama! The scar will just give him more character. ;)

• Yes next time we're going right away! @proudmommy8789 I wish ours got you in and out that quick! At this hospital you have to expect to be ther around 6 to 8 hrs! That's why I was thinking about it so much.
    @2beforgotten awww I know what you mean, I wanted to cry when I saw all that blood!
    @ethansmommy122 yes, I hate er's!
    @kingsmama thanks for your help!
    @ashleyfew ih yea he was bleeding a lot I got sooo scared but when I googled it saif head wounds bleed a lot bc there's lots of blood vessels and they're close to the surface or something like that
    He's proud of his gash lol wants to show it off to everyone!
  • you dont have a childrens hospital near you?
  • ouch! glad everything is ok :)
  • The nearest children's hospital is an hour and a half away