c-section question!

edited October 2011 in Giving birth
So do you need pads after a c-section like you do after a natural deliverly?
Also i would like to hear any of your c-section stories bc i am a first time mom and would like to know what to expect! Thanks=]

Comments

• When you finally poop, you'll be happpy! I still wear a pad 8wks later. Its not really bleeding but its too heavy for a panty liner.
  • Oh well good. I am glad for you! Was it a scheduled section? What kind of pads do you use? The super heavy ones or normal ones?
  • No, not scheduled. No natural progression according to THEM. I bought overnight ones at first, but didnt need both packs. So after i finished them i bought regular.
  • @caroline8_p okay good. I think I need to go get some of those. I am scheduled for sometime in like a week and a half bc of a breech baby. i find out the date friday but just have so many questions and am trying to narrow down what i need to ask my dr. Also does your cervix still dialate if you dont go into labor?
  • I only bled for 2weeks.. just regular pads when u go home like a regular period but in hospital ull bleed alot n use their bigg pads.. the first 2 dayyyss are rough but not nearly as bad as ud think.. I was so scared to get a c section but always kinda figured I would cuz I jad no signs..so I went in to b induced n it failed miserably so c sec I was soo scared but took it as it came n was not bad at all.. just stay positive!!
  • I dont know about that question.. i labored for 30hrs total before the c-section. Halff of that in the hospital.
  • Im one month pp from a c section. I was induced,went through 22 hours of labor and at 9cm my baby boys heartbeat almost flatlined. So I had to have an emergency c section. It was a piece of cake,I was terrified at the moment. But I stayed in the hospital four days,and the hospital staff are very attentive to u. I would strongly suggest packing oversized underwear and pajamas/sweatpants,your not going to want anything touching your incision to tight. ask for pain meds when you need it,don't try and be super woman!!! Walk as soon as u feel u can,I had my son at 11:52 pm and was walking the next morning. And also,have someone stay at the hospital with u that can help u a lot. You might need help getting in and out of bed or using the bathroom or shower,things u might not be comfortable with a nurse helping u with. I quit bleeding at 3 weeks BTW.
  • By time i got back to my room from recovery i was ready to walk but the nurses refuses to let me so i just sat up on the side of my bed. When they finally said i could i nearly jumped up and walked over to a chair. No assistance. The nurses jaw nearly hit the floor. I was in no pain. I had been begging to get out of bed for over 6hours.
  • I bled for a good 4-5 weeks but since then I still have to wear a panty liner. I'm 7 wks pp. I still have very very light bleeding/discharge.
  • I'm not bleeding anymore my son is only a week old I do have some spotting but nothing like it was. And yes gas pain is the worst
  • @Steph_Due_101611 That's interesting that you about had to beg to get up. My nurses forced me just a few hours after surgery whether I wanted to or not. Lol. @natandfer The whole walking deal is very important. It may be uncomfortable at first but will help make recovery faster.
  • I wear the overnight heavy ones.
  • I had my son two weeks ago & still am bleeding but very lightly just enough that a panty liner takes care of it.
    I unfortunately don't remember anything from my csection though. I started to have an anxiety attack once I was told i'd be getting a csection so I was given medication during the surgery that made me really loopy.
    Recovery isn't bad at all though, just make sure you take it easy. I thought I could do everything like normal but ended up in excrusiating pain at the end of the night. & the worst part is having to poop afterwards, try to ask for stool softeners while at the hospital to help make it easier on you.
  • I bled for 3wks after mine. The making been bad though. I was up walking around back and forth to the nicu the 2nd day. After I came home, going up and down the stairs hurt but now not at all. I am 4wks pp now. My stomach muscles are sore but not painful.
  • Tomorrow it will be 2 months since i had my csectionn i was still bleeding but like a week ago when i got birth control it stopped..when i had the csection It was horrible for me! They made me get up all by myself 6 hours after the csection.. That was the worst pain i had ever felt! & hour later they made me walk..the second day it wasnt as bad but gas pains do hurt!
    I used overnight pads from always.
  • @babiescomin2011 okay thanks, im glad to hear they are not that bad! im just so scared to get surgery.
    @everyone! Okay you guys make it sound a lot better then i thought it was going to be. I am still really scared but am so ready to have my baby! i cant wait to see her!! how long does a section usually take?
  • I Was Induced, & After 33 Hours Of Labor My Dr Ordered Me To Have A Csection. I Bled For Only 5 Days, But I Was Also Breastfeeding. My Dr Told Me, Your Bleeding Should Be Ligh Or Even No Bleeding ! Goodluck Mama, Gets Lots Of Rest Too. You Will Need It :)
  • They can get the baby out within 5 mins of being in the OR but plan on about 30-60 mins.
  • I'm 2wk pp from a c-section, I was induced & in labor for 26hrs didn't go pass 4cm had a c-section only to find out my narrow pelvic can't deliver a baby vaiginally, I was so scared! I only bled heavy at the hospital & used they Big pads lol but wen I got home I use regular now @ after 2wk no bleeding jus a lil discharge. The process takes about a hr, to get baby out & fixing u up takes the longest. U won't be able 2 move for a few hrs but wen they do help u out of bed & u WILL need help, make sure u walk. I never realize how much we use stomach muscles(laugh, cough,sneeze,fart,pee) make sure 2 keep incision clean & dry, mines got infected(worst thing ever).
  • i was totally terrified of suregry and i had 2 have a c-sec. i was induced and after 12hrs of labor and getting dialated 2 a 6 Levi's heartrate started 2 drop...i had a fantastic nurse that told me Lots of helpful stuff...when they come 2 press on ur tummy post suregry 2 check ur uterus 2 make sure its shrinking it hurts when they mash u...but if u breath in really deep then exhale as the press inward on ur belly it helps a ton! take every stool softnenr and gas pill they give you...tkae ur pain pills even if u dont feel like ur in pain..and keep a pillow or blanket folded up over ur belly to press down when u laugh, cough, use the bathroom, hold baby ect. i stopped bleeding 5days pp and was climbing into a tractor 4days pp!
  • @vanalkr oh yes, I 4got about them mashing on your stomach, it hurt a lot!
  • omg and i almost 4got..sometimes ppl get this really sharp pain in their shoulder or upper chest after having surgery..i was told its an air bubble and it works in your body like the bubble in a level..if u start to feel pain in ur upper body reposition urself so the air bubble moves and gets the pressure off whatever nerve or thing its on that causin u 2 hurt!
  • Mine was scheduled csec and was quick and painless (at first lol). Walk as much as u can and carry a pillow holding it on ur stomach in case u have to sneeze or cough it kinda braces the incision. I thought I wouldn't bleed as much with csec but man was I wrong! I wore overnight pads for 5 weeks and this past week just light spotting finally!!! My other recommendation is to buy yourself some granny panties cuz most regular undies waistband goes right across your incision! Good luck, you'll be fine! :)
  • @everyone thank you all so much! i am getting my section monday! so i will let everyone know how it goes! wish me luck please!!!
  • Can you share ur story @natandfer1993?