mommies who breastfeed and formula feed

edited October 2011 in October 2011
How's it going for you? At first I only wanted to breastfeed but my son had a hard time latching on and I wasn't producing enough milk so I did nothing but formula the first few days. Now that I am producing more milk I do both. Have any of your babies had a reaction to the mixture of both?

Comments

• edited October 2011
    I do both. Basically because my lil girl lost so much weight at the get go.. but the only reaction he/she would have(I think) would be getting chunky.
  • I did both for a few weeks and I liked it but my daughter had a reaction to boob milk so I stopped
  • I kinda do both. I bf more but when I'm super tired I let dad give him a bottle. The only reaction I see is he farts more lol
  • My son had an upset tummy the other day and someone told me it was because I formula feed and breastfeed, that supposebly it was because I was giving him both, my problem is I don't produce milk on command so there's times I pump feed my son and by the second or third feeding I'm dry no milk supply at all so of course I give him formula I'm not gona not feed my son because everyone tells me to breastfeed him only! Its stressful and breastfeeding only isn't easy!
  • I do both but my daughter seems to spit up allot more with the breast milk its weird but I do take metformin so maybe that is whats bothering her hhhhhmmmmmm?????
  • I bf during the day and formula feed at night. My baby only spits up with formula. I haven't noticed if he prefers one over the other. I do have to wear a nipple shield.
  • i was solely bf..but then realized when he ate more he slpet better so i just give himm 2oz or so every so often after i get done feeding him or when im somewhere i cant bf. he has no reaction 2 it and ive had him on 3 diff formulas! ;)
  • i do both i havent had a problem she gets boob juice in the mornings and early after noon then about 2-3 formula bottles the rest of the day then she gets her night cap of boob juice again and sleeps threw the night
  • @momof22be I also found that my son spits up breast milk too! The first few days when I strictly only gave him formula he never threw up until after I started breastfeeding it was weird.
  • @jnettep I'm calling her doc now I'm going to ask ill let u know what they say
  • I do both as well bc my chunker hardly ever seems satisfied after bf-ing. I started to take fenugreek and blessed thistle, but I don't notice a difference yet. So he gets formula if he's still hungry, at night, and if we're out somewhere I can't bf. He's really gassy but idk if that's due to the formula or he's just a gassy baby.
  • They said its probably the soda and chocolate they also said to avoid fish dairy and nuts
  • @momof22be so your not suppose to consume soda or chocolate when breastfeeding then?? Thats what causes them to throw up?
  • A lot of times the spit up because they are full, their little tummies cant fit more. It doesnt bother them. If they still "act" hungry, they most likely want to suckle for comfort. Thus, the binky, in all shapes and sizes was invented :)
  • I do both only bcuz he never seems satisfied after being bf, there have been times that I bf him well over an hour and he is still hungry. The most I have been able to pump is 1.5 oz so im guessing im not making quite enough milk yet. He didnt poop for 3 days and is really gasy, not sure if being fed both causes it.
  • edited October 2011
    Yea supposedly it makes more acid and whatever u eat will have resiments(sp) in your milk for one hour after and it can last up to 24 hours and I talked to the lactation nurse today and she said also to avoid acidic foods such as orange juice lemons tomatoes which I have been eating quite a few tomato sandwiches the past few days and she said only to avoid dairy if your baby has a problem with regular formula like if u have to use soy formula to stay away from dairy and also if you bf both boobs and your baby is still hungry go back to the first boob and then the seccond again before u try formula and only go formula if u have done both boobs twice and your baby is still freaking out for food and your supply will increase plus u can use fenu greek 3 pills 3 times a day until ur supply increases and then decrease the pills
  • @ExcitedForOctober and @mam082711 i thought the same thing that baby wasnt getting enough so i was pumping and feeding babygirl 3 oz and she was like 2 weeks old then... when i went to my wic appointment the lactation nurse said that that was too much cause her stomach is only as big as a ping pong ball so i was feeding her too much so i then just started breastfeeding only
  • edited October 2011
    I do both as well but both by bottle. I used to use a nipple sheild because i have flat nipples but he threw up everytime i used it so i pump when i can which is only three times a day and he goes through that because its only good for three feedings. I have been trying to save up for when i go to wrk too. I formula feed more and i feed him spit up by similac and use dr brown bottles. He does great. He does have reflux though but it runs in the family.

@jnettep
    @momof22be
    For those who have problems with breast milk spit up.. try mixing it with rice baby cereal.. its heavier.
  • @newmomma13 I was also thinking that since he spits up alot. So what do u do when she keeps asking for more after u bf her?
  • I did both because when I was in the hospital they said he was losing to much weight. Now that we are home I strictly breastfeed and pump and he seems happy. The formula made him to gassy and spit up a ton. With breastfeeding he eats longer but he doesn't spit up and he's not as gassy
  • @ExcitedForOctober does your baby come off on their own...my babygirl she'll fall asleep so I'll pull her off and burp her and if she wakes after I do that I just give her her pacifier and rock her...cause they might not be wanting more they just want to be suckling on something
  • I used to do both in the begining because I made the mistake of thinking she was still hungry too. Babies just like to suck, for all reasons. Including their bellies are too full, or they need to poop, or toot, or are tired, or hungry. Every mom wonders if baby is getting enough. Chances are that they are and they just need to suck. Since I was supplimening supply went down, and I had to build it back up. Now, no formula! Yay!

Note on nipple sheilds, I used one for a month and after I weened her off I found she got fuller without. Its hell to ween off of, but we are much happier now. You moms are doing great with the breast feeding, but remember its supply and demand. The emptier your boobs, the more they will produce.