This is a little late, but I had my baby! :) Pic included

edited October 2011 in Birth Stories
My doctor had me come in on the evening of September 28th which was a wednesday. I was only an inch dialated and 50% effaced when I arrived at the hospital. They started me on cervadil and thursday morning all the cervadil did was change me from being 50% effaced to 60%. Also Thursday morning they started me on pitocin. I've had to take blood thinners my entire pregnancy because of a blood clot and they had to get my blood to the correct thickness level before they could give me an epidural. So I ended up feeling everything all day thursday. My water broke by itself around 1 and i was having back to back contractions. Carson was not moving down and by midnight I had only dilated to 4. So by like midnight they finally got my blood to the appropriate level. They gave me a spinal block and Carson was delivered by csection at 12:36 AM. He weighed 7 pounds 8.6 ounces and was 21 inches long. We just did find out recently that Carson has PKU. PKU is hard to explain but it has something to do with where your body does not produce a certain enzyme and has something to do with amino acids also. It is a genetic disorder. Because Carson does have PKU, he has to drink a special medicated formula that he will continue drinking throught his life. As he grows older he will have to eat as a vegetarian except with even a little stricter rules than a vegetarian. He will be able to grow up and function as a normal person, he is just special because of this strict diet he will have to do.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Comments

• What a handsome little guy you have, I love the hat by the way. I'm glad the PKU thing is managable and not harmful. Being a genetic disorder does that mean someone in your family has that as well? Sorry for the question, I'm just curious cuz i think it'll be easier for carson to deal with it if someone else has a strict diet as well. I say that cuz I worked at a school and mid year one of our 3 year olds found out he was allergic to basically everything and it was hard for him to watch other kids an people eat stuff he liked. But I'm sure this will be quite different if he didn't get to eat other things to begin with.
  • Thank you! PKU actually is harmful if you do not get started on the formula soon enough. It can cause mental retardation, seizures, and a couple other problems. But thankfully since PKU is part of the newborn screening we were able to catch it early. Nobody that we know of in our families had PKU, but if could have been a family way back that we do not know of. My husband and I plan on doing the diet with him though. Lots of veggies and fruits!! I dont think it will be as hard on him either where he has never tried the foods he cant have, but I do still worry about him in school and other situations such as birthday parties and things like that. They make pku cookbooks that will help us learn to be creative with his diet so that will help alot
  • What a great pic! He is so cute! Congratulations! Both parents must be carriers for baby to have PKU. There is a good pkunews.org website you might want to check out. I have been vegetatian all my life and do not feel it has been hard on me.