just bought the baby bullet

I got questions on baby food in general.
When did you start your baby on solids?
What did they eat 1st? How do you store the baby food? If you freeze it, how long is it good for? Sorry I'm a ftm and not real sure how this all works. My lil man is 3 months old now and I'm really excited to start making him food.

Comments

• Really, nothing?
  • Idk anything about making food, but here's a chart that might help you.

http://www.earthsbest.com/resources/guides-tools/infant-feeding-schedule
  • Check out wholesomebabyfood.com Tons of awesome info there!! I make all the kids food. It is easy & cheap!
  • I just recieved a baby bullet as a gift. The booklet that comes with explains pretty well. Except I waited til 5 months to start cereal.... You dont HAVE to start with rice, its just best to start with a low allergy-risk food. Just a few spoonfulls at first, then work your way up as baby eats more.
  • @mamaof4 - Ty that is perfect. @Math_Mommy - yeah I just went threw the book was in the car all day and didn't wanna open the box n risk something being swallowed by my car.
  • They say it is best to start with vegetables not fruit. I made my sons baby food I would boil it first like green beans boil them until they were soft then put them in the blender and blend then I poured it into an ice cube tray froze it then popped them out of the tray and put 3 to 4 cubes in a ziploc baggy write what it is and the date I usually used it within a week or two.

As he got older I would do like chicken and rice the same way just boil it longer. I use to use whatever was left over from dinner I cooked for my husband and myself. Good luck
  • I kept the baggies in the freezer until I used them
  • edited October 2011
    Double post.
  • @mommy2now3 - how did you de-thaw it? That's good to know I was gonna start with apples.
  • Of you start with fruit it is supposedly harder to get them to eat veggies since the fruits are sweet and veggies aren't
  • I just set them out in the a bowl or put the baggie in warm water. A Lot of people don't like to use the microwave but you can. Or if your baby likes it warm you can get a small pot and warm it up on the stove. I sometimes added a little cereal with you it.
  • My doctor says four months I want a baby bullet too I'm going to start him on veggies so he will grow use to the taste after I start on cereal I would try cereal first to see if his digestive track can handle it if you are starting at three months
  • @preggointx - I'm gonna wait, 3 weeks will go by fast. I'm just excited to start making it and didn't know if it would keep for that long. I think we will start with rice, then move to peas.
  • Most recommend starting between 3 and 6 months. Some pediatricians recommend starting with cereal and then mixing in the solids to get baby used to it, but it's up to you. Frozen fruits and veggies should last up to 6 months without an issue. I've also heard it's best to start with a veggie
  • All the babies in our family their first food was real mashed potatoes,.veggies for sure. The doctor told my cousin the acids from some fruits are just to hard on their bellies till they are older.
  • And introduce the same veggie alone for 4-6 days to check for allergies.
  • @Ourlittlenugget - do you know how long we should stick to just serial?
  • I started my son with rice cereal. But, he got constipated; so, we stopped cereal and started carrots, then sweet potatoes, then all other veggies. When we were working our way through fruits (giving 4-5 days for each new one before introducing another), we tried cereal again. I was worried that since we did sweet veggies first, he might not like less-sweet veggies like green beens. But, he had no issues. Just in case my daughter was going to be pickier, I started her on squash, then green beans, then peas.

I steam veggies and fruits, because boiling depletes vitamin content. Always make sure fruits and veggies are very soft before pureeing. Frozen fruits and veggies cook faster, are cheeper, and sometimes have more vitamins then fresh (because they are frozen shortly after picking, while fresh can sit around for weeks before you buy from the store).
  • edited October 2011
    When I worked in childcare, state nutrition guidelines said we could do cereal starting at 8 weeks. We usually did cereal alone for about 4 weeks or until the parents started introducing a certain fruit or veggie. Again, that part is up to you - no hard and fast rule. Personally, I think I'll skip the cereal if my baby is satisfied with my breastmilk. Then I'll start with fresh pureed fruit and veg like you're doing when my baby is 5 or 6 months. Some pediatricians recommend cereal if baby isn't gaining weight, and others say it isn't necessary unless you want to introduce it.:-)
  • @Ourlittlenugget - I may skip it all together then, I've tried it once before and he hated it. And he has no issues gaining weight.
  • Nothing wrong with that! ;-)
  • If u wanna do fruit bananas are low in acid and they like em lol