Acting out...?

edited October 2011 in Parenting
Could my 3 yr old possibly sense that the baby could be coming very soon? He's been acting out for the past few days. He used to listen so well, but lately he's not been listening, been throwing fits, and acting like a baby. It's driving me crazy!!!

Comments

• Yes, I am a true believer in this, that toddlers know. my nephew who I have custody of was the same way!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • i was wondering the same thing.. my 18mnth old has been extra whinny.. ugh.. and the babies not even here yet.. i wonder?
  • My niece has been the same way! Its driving me crazy! (I babysit her mon-fri)
  • @mama0811 my husband has been gone for about 6 months now. I'm sure a lot has to do with daddy being gone, but I also think him acting like a baby is maybe because he knows he won't be the only one anymore. Idk?
  • edited October 2011
    I'm willing to bet it is more about the baby... a lot is changing & baby stuff often takes up space they think of as "theirs". Plus there's maybe lots of talk about the baby and what not... sometimes kids just do it subconsciously bc of all the change, & maybe even fears of being replaced (although we know they wont be).

Try to explain that he's just as special to u as he always was and that he will be such a good helper! Maybe even give him an easy "job" to make him feel important... or take some extra time for the two of u to do something special like going somewhere fun, doing a craft, or making cookies to decorate for the holiday?

Good luck lady!!!
  • @mrsrocketfield1221 Thanks! You always have such great advice. I try to keep him involved when it comes to baby stuff. He helped me put the crib together and he helps put baby clothes away.

Tomorrow my father in law is coming to town to put together a swing set for him. Also, I'm taking him to Lowes in the morning. They have some craft thing they do for kids.

I try so hard not to lose patience with him or fuss to much, but I'm going crazy with the way he's been lately :(
  • I work with children so i know how it is!! Haha. :) and it's tough. Probably wont be an easy fix... but keep reinforcing good behavior & try not to give too much attention to the bad. & keep having him involved & doing your "special time" stuff!

Sounds like you're doing a pretty good job & he's going to have to learn. ;) in a nice way lol. Maybe bring him out, also, to pick something for the baby, & then for him too? A toy or blanket or outfit without going crazy of course! Just keep at it & try to hang in there bc it's hard for sure! Sometimes you just want to shake them & make them snap out of it (we deal with those feelings with my husbands youngest more than anything). Sometimes the naughty time kids need more love ... sometimes they need disaplin & it's tough to figure out which... so I'm sending u some *MOMMY POWER* to keep trying ;)
  • Also i like to have kids go in another area (like a non-fun room) if they're going to cry and carry on. That way they're not getting the attention they're trying for. "You need to stop crying snd act like a big boy (& use your words) or you're going to have to go into the _______ room to cry bc it's making my head hurt & i don't want to listen to you be so loud. I don't like it" ;)
  • @mrsrocketfield1222 Thank you so much girl!!! I honestly do think he's doing it for attention.
  • :) no problem. Just let him know that's not how he gets it & when he acts like a big boy you'll both be able to do more & have a better day.

Good luck! Keep me in the loop lady!