how do i get a newborn to sleep on her back?

edited October 2011 in First time moms
I have a 3 day old who wants to be held at night. We swaddle her tightly and wait for her to fall asleep before we put her down. She immediately gets fussy and then starts whaling. We've tried to let her cry it out but it doesn't work. Anyone else have this problem?
The only thing my husband and o can do is hold her. Sleeping with her scares me but I don't know what to do.

Comments

• i know docs say not to but have you tried putting her down on her tummy? thats what worked for my little one
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • We are going through the same sort of thing. Jude is 10 days old and we end up walking with him most nights from 7-3 bc he doesn't want to lay down and he nurses almost every hour during that time. Just part of figuring out your little one. Everything I have read says keep trying to lay baby down once asleep for a good 10 min. They will figure out what we are trying to get them to do. Make sure you nap when you can! Be very careful putting baby on tummy. It can be bad for their breathing. Good luck!
  • My lil girl was the same way. So we laid her on her belly..I know I know your not suppose to. But she absolutely would not sleep. Well she started sleep through the night at 4 wks :) she's now 7 wks n still will not sleep on her back.
  • Her favorite sleep position is on her tummy on our chest.
    We got her to sleep in the pack n play during the day, but as soon as as nighttime came she wanted to be held. She slept in it for about 2 hours last night. The rest of the time she was being roxked, fed or sleeping on our chest.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • If u watch ur baby tummy sleeping is fine I wouldn't sleep as a baby unless I was on my belly lol