lets share recipes!! i need new things to try!

edited October 2011 in Food
i always make white rice and black beans so this is how i make it (for 2 to 3 people)

white rice:
2 cups of rice
3 1/4 cups of water
3 garlic cloves (minced)
about 2 table spoons of fresh cilantro (minced)
3 tablespoons of veg. oil
salt to your liking

add garlic, salt and oil in a pot. i let it sit for about 30 mins so the oil gets the garlic flavor. turn your stove on medium(stoves may very). let the garlic cook for a little bit about 2 mins (dont let them get brown!!). then add the rice and mix well. then add the water and cilantro. let it boil uncovered until the water is a little below the rice level. when the water is at that level lower the temp to about the middle of low and medium. mix well and cover. let it sit for about 10 mins. go stir after the ten mins and it should be done if it isnt cover it again and wait about another 10 mins.

Black Beans(i eye ball everything on here for the most part)
1 can of black beans( i use goya)
about 2 cloves of garlic
onion
green bell pepper
table spoon of olive oil
pinch or 2 of salt
pinch of pepper
half the can of water
cilantro

put olive oil in a sauce pan. add garlic, onion and bell pepper and cook that for about 3 to 5 mins. then add everything else. let it boil for about 10 to 20 mins depends how think you like your beans i like them thick. so i cook them for a while lol. stiring every 3 to 5 mins.

after everything is done i like to put the beans on top of my rice when i plate them!

Comments

• SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS IN MUSHROOM G Pork chops or pork steaks (as many as you need Butter Sour cream (16 oz. or 1 lb.) Mushroom soup 3 cans (10 3/4 oz.) To prepare pork chops take a frying pan, put in 4 tablespoons butter, while butter is getting hot season pork chops with salt and pepper. Cook pork chops on both sides until brown. Remove and put into baking dish. Do not pour out butter from pan. After meat has been removed add your sour cream (16 ounce) and mushroom soup (3 cans) too butter stirring until all is blended well. After mixed remove from heat and cover. At this time you should put your pork chops into oven and let cook for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. In 30 minutes, pour gravy over pork chops, place back in oven and cook for another 30 minutes. After 1 hour it is ready. It's great served with mashed potatoes, green beans and dinner rolls
  • I luv sharing recipes.. so I'll post some of my faves.

Sesame Orange Shrimp:
    3 tbsp sesame seeds
    1 lb raw shrimp (21-25/lb)
    2 large egg whites
    1/4 c cornstarch
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    2 tbsp canola oil (divided)
    3/4 c Orange Juice
    1/4 c sherry
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    1 tsp sugar

1. Whisk seeds, egg whites, cornstarch, salt and pepper in large bowl. Add the shrimp and toss it to coat.
    2. Heat 1 tbsp oil in large nonstick skillet over med heat. Add half of the shrimp & cook until golden. (You only do half, because if you load up the pan then they'll stick to each other.). They should cook like little medallions.
    3. Transfer to a paper towel and repeat w/other half.
    4. Add Orange Juice, Sherry, Soy Sauce and Sugar to the pan. Bring to a boil, stir occasionally until slightly thick and reduced by half (4-6 mins).
    5. Return the shrimp and stir to coat w.sauce.

I serve this on top of white rice.. It is SOOOO GOOD and pretty healthy.
  • Good fall recipe and super easy, feeds 4 or two with leftovers/ lunch or dinner next day.
    2 acorn squash halved. Lightly butter or oil the exposed inside (to your taste) and bake at 400 for about 30 min.
    Stuffing: any flavor stovetop, one box, I like chicken or pork for this, but have used cornbread with good results too!
    One package sausage (johsonville size links and package) or equivalent amount cooked up, mild or spicy depending on taste.
    Quarter of onion, sauteed up with sausage and add a package of presliced (or cut them yourself) mushrooms, I like the baby portabellas. Mix with stuffing, overstuff squash halves and optional- sprinkle w parmesan cheese and broil for a little texture on top.
    :) enjoy!
  • Buffalo Chicken Dip - I dunno if this is a Pittsburgh or eastern deal, but it surprises me when people haven't heard of it.

4 boneless chicken breasts. Boil until cooked thoroughly and then shred. (or you can get 2 cans of canned chicken, but I personally don't think it tastes as good).
    1 c of Ranch Dressing
    1/3 c Buffalo Red Hot Sauce
    2 c Mozzarella Cheese
    1 package cream cheese, softened

1. Preheat oven to 350
    2. Mix all ingredients in a bowl either by hand or with electric mixer until well blended.
    3. Spread into baking dish 9X9 or 9X13
    4. Bake at 350 for about 30 mins until it's bubbly.
    Cool slightly before serving w/tortilla chips.
  • Parmesan Potato Wedges:
    6 med baking potatoes (about 2 lbs)
    1/3 c butter
    1 clove garlic
    1/4c Parmesan cheese
    1/2 tsp italian seasoning
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp black pepper

1. Line a baking pan w/parchment paper or foil.
    2. Preheat oven to 425.
    3. Cut each potato lengthwise into wedges.
    4. Melt the butter in a large bowl.
    5. Add garlic, parm cheese, italian seasoning, salt and pepper to the bowl.
    6. Add the potato wedges, stir to coat. If you have a lid for the bowl, it's easier to pop on a lid and shake them up.
    7. Place the wedges onto the pan.
    8. Bake at 425 for 20 mins. Take out the pan and flip the potatoes. Bake about 10 more minutes or until tender.
  • @alilboulding i just made that today!! but i dont mix them together. i layer it though
  • Preheat oven to 350
    1/2 cup of nutella
    1/2 cup of peanutbutter
    1cup of sugar
    1egg
    Mix together,spoon on to pan, press down with fork(but not to flat), bake for about 10 mins ,let cool before putting them up(they will break if not cooled)
  • Tom yum soup

3 Tom yum soup packets from Asian market usually one that sells Thai food
    1 can straw mushrooms from Asian market make sure they r whole peeled ones and slice in halfs
    about 10-15 green onions cut 1 inch
    1bunch cilantro chopped
    thinly sliced chicken breast as much as u want I like allot lol
    6 lime leaves from Asian market
    1-2 tomatoes wedged

Boil probably about 10 cups water ad the Tom yum packets to the water when boiling ad chicken wait for chicken to be done add vegies and leaves boil for another 3 min take off heat and serve over rice p

Do not eat the lime leaves they r there for essence nit harmful just nasty lol
  • All Recipes is a recipe app I downloaded! I really like it! I used a recipe for parmesan crusted chicken, everyone loved it!
  • Yummy stuff ima bump this up, so I can add recipes tomorrow.
  • @mommyof3tobe I got that app to n I love it;)
  • I go online to the wedsite. Not a fan of the app though.
  • Agreed I only use the website...
  • i love the website too i get alot of recipes from there...and i have the app and don't like it at all. i don't know why i haven't deleted it yet lol

all these recipes sound yummy...i'm trying to think if there is any recipes i could share but i know me being from hawaii my taste is way different and we use alot of different i ingredients that are harder to find up in the mainland.
  • @myHEARTZx3 post anyways!! we might get lucky and find the ingredients!
  • @alilboulding yep its an eastern thing, I'm actually from Buffalo where buffalo wings were invented lol