Castor Oil Inductions ( just some advice)

edited October 2011 in Labor
Hey ladies, I have seen SO many posts lately about self inductions, especially those involving castor oil. I feel your pain as I am 37 with my third child and know how it feels when you are just "DONE" with being pregnant! I just wanted to offer you some advice that I was given in a post (since its hard to comment on each thread). Several midwives and doctors have told me that there is some truth behind castor oil inductions, however they work MUCH better one second or consecutive pregnancies. A first time Mom is much harder to induce (not impossible, but harder). Also, while its worth it to give a few methods a try, please don't overdue it! Labor and delivery is very exhausting/painful and you don't want to have yourself completely worn out before it even begins, for example from constant diarrhea or walking 5 miles. My SIL tried one self induction method after another with her first and ended up in the hospital completely fatigued and dehydrated. And while she eventually was successful in putting herself into labor she now says that she regrets putting her body in such an unhealthy and miserable place for days on end. Good luck ladies and labor dust to all of you!! Your little ones will be here before you know it and you will forget so fast about how uncomfortable you were at the end :)

Comments

• It did not work at all for me but if u do try it do not do too much because as you near the end the chances of your baby pooping in the amniotic sac increase
  • I used castor oil, but slowly, 3small doses over a full 12 hours. But I was already 4cm so im sure that helped and I was a full week overdue. I ended up having a super fast labour only 2hours 10mins which was surprisingly fast after 17hours with my first.
  • @tinka1326 Yeah I think it is much more effective if your body is already almost there and you just need a little push, @preggointx you are right about it increasing the chance of the baby passing stool before delivery.