bf and formula feeding combined. anyone doing this?

edited October 2011 in Breastfeeding
Ook so I really want to try breast feeding but with me and my boyfriend living in two different places and me still being in school full time I really don't have the time to do it exclusively so I'm considering mixing the two for the first 4-6 months of her life and then going strictly formula. My question is will she still reap the full benefits of a breast fed baby? I really want the bonding and health boost that comes along with breast feeding along with the luxury of knowing I won't have to pump for her to have bottles while I'm in school or for when she's with her daddy or were just going to be out and about. Also itd be a lot cheaper than exclusive formula feeding as well . ^_^ ok so Input please!

Comments

• I'm doing a little of both it started because my milk hadn't come in and I wasn't producing enough colostrum. (Pretty much nothing was coming out) along with latching problems. He hasn't had nipple confusion at all and its been good so far but I want to strictly breast feed. Also you may have to pump to keep your supply up. Even if you just get a manual pump. Idk bout her getting the full benefits and what not so here is a bump if someone else knows.
  • Thanks I do plan on pumping some but not a whole lot
  • I bf, pump, and formula feed. I don't have adequate milk supply no matter what I do.
  • I'm bf and formula feeding cuz i didnt produce enough. I felt awful at first, but then I told myself to think of the women who don't have the option to breastfeed at all and theirr babies turn out healthy, so mixing the 2 has to be ok :-)
  • I am my 3 month old is drinking five ounces and with breast milk hes hungry in within two hours which I only produce five every four hours so I give him two or three ounces of BM and mix it with two or three of F that way his feedings can stretch out for longer periods and he is satisfied. My doctor said it is perfectly fine, they are still getting your breast milk so thats whats important! ;)