IS THERE ANYONE??? (NPR!)

edited November 2011 in Current Events
Does anyone on pregly know anything about taxes? H&R Block and my brother-in-law screwed up our taxes last year, and now I can't get a straight forward answer about how to fix it! We were married 10/16/10, and my BIL filed my husband's taxes SINGLE. I went to H&R Block to ask if I needed to fix it before I filed mine, and the lady told me no, just to go ahead and do mine single also. Now, I can't get financial aid for school until I get our taxes amended.

So, my questions are:
Do I have to amend BOTH of our returns, or just one of them?
Who do I file as the "taxpayer"?
If I have to do both, do I flip flop who is the taxpayer according to which return I'm amending, or keep them both the same?
If I just amend one of them, should I amend HIS and make HIM the taxpayer, or amend MINE and make ME the taxpayer?

If ANYONE at all can help me. that would be awesome! Thanks in advance!

Comments

• I have no idea. My husband and I got married on 10.10.10 and I believe we were told we had to file together... Maybe try to call the IRS about it? I'm sorry, I not much help, but I hope it gets all sorted out for you soon.
  • Don't quote me cuz I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure there is a box for married but filing seperate. Maybe you could see if you could just amend yours and file that way?
  • I thought you had to be married for at least 6 months of to file together? Or at least that's what we were told we were married 9/9/06