swaddling

edited November 2011 in Ages & Stages
How long do you guys normally swaddle babies for?

Comments

• My daughter is 5.5 months and I still do it.
  • I wouldn't swaddle for any longer than 8-10 weeks. I worked in an infant room for four years and I could tell the difference between the motor skills and arm/leg strength of those who were still being swaddled and those who weren't. I personally believe it hinders their development after 10 weeks.
  • @musicmomma Juliana would only sleep swaddled and sometimes that's still the only way, I have noticed no difference in her development compared to babies who aren't swaddled. Actually we had 4 babies born into our family within like a 2 week period and my daughter is developing fast then all of them.
  • It's just my opinion. I would think it depends on how tightly their swaddled as well. And I'm not saying I think it hinders them in a severe way. Every baby is different.
  • @musicmomma oh no um not saying you are, just giving another point of view
  • I saddle at night at 4 weeks, as long as it helps him sleep. but I wouldn't do it all the time
  • edited November 2011
    I also swaddle my son at night. He's 2 months old and sleeps MUCH better swaddled. Otherwise he's not swaddled during the day. If I don't swaddle him at bedtime, it takes forever for him to fall asleep.
  • My son is 6 weeks. I have found that if he is not swaddled he will only sleep at night for about 4 hours before he wants to be fed, if he is swaddled then it is 6 - 7 hours. My other two children were never swaddled buy they were great sleepers early on so this is a new experience.for me.
  • I also swaddle only at night now . She's 5 weeks.
  • edited November 2011
    I only swaddle at night, she has her "good night" bottle at about 10pm then I swaddle her, she wakes up about 2-3am for changing an a little top up feed then gets re swaddled until about 4-5am when she gets un swaddled an snuggles with me til daddy gets up at 6am. I don't swaddle in the day an she's taken out of her swaddle blanket once she's awake. Some nights I don't swaddle an she sleeps In a grow bag.
  • Are u guys swaddling with or without arms?
  • I leave her arms out now
  • During the day I swaddle her without arms, at night with arms inside blanket.
  • arms inside or he still startles himself awake...he sometimes manages to get them out though.