Breastfeeding While Sick?!?!

edited November 2011 in Babies Health
I'm a little concerned. My son is only 5 days old and I have a cold. I am currently breastfeeding. Is it okay or safe to continue breastfeeding? I constantly wash my hands and try to cough in a room that the baby isn't in but I don't want to get him sick .

Comments

• Yes its best. Your baby has already been exposed to the cold. Your body is making antibodies that your baby will get through the breastmiilk and will help keep him healthy and fight the cold
  • @LittleFae & @Proudmommy8789 Thank you ladies that makes me feel better. I have been so nervous because everyone makes a big deal about not getting a newborn sick.
  • Thanks! I just got a cough & I was concerned with this too!
  • No problem! I got sick when mine was 3 weeks old
  • I was just at the hospital 2nights ago because I thought I had the flu but I have strep throat & I was concerned about still breastfeeding him. The nurses & doctor there told me its the best thing you can do for your baby because it gives them anti bodies to fight whatever u have
  • @clope18 Thank you. I feel so bad but I'm glad that he is getting anti bodies. I hope he doesn't get sick.