How can I keep my baby entertained/content without holding him all day?

My son in one month old today. Whenever we put him into his vibrating seat or swing he seems to be ok for 3-5 minutes then he starts crying until we pick him up. I always hear about moms putting their babies into these seats and swings to calm their babies but it seems to do the exact opposite for my son. What should I try? I try talking and singing to him too :(

Also, does anyone know if we can put gripe water into his bottle? He seems to spit it out if I don't put the dropper into his mouth far enough.

Comments

• What worked for my niece is cartoons even though they can't focus they can see colors :)
  • Do you have an activity mat? With my first, I'd give him tummy time on one and he liked it.
  • My baby (6wks) likes to look at the tv (for the colors I kno) or a light, I sometimes put lil hangin toys for her to look at & I play music. This give me a lil hands free time lol but jus try a few things to see wat works.

I never used that water so I'm not sure but I would say u could put a lil in his bottle to see, cuz with the bottle they have reflex to suck put sometime wen u put other things in they mouth they push out!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My daughter is 9 wks and loved her seats n swings. However it didn't start that way. Have you tried just talking to him soothingly before picking him up? My daughter has to have noise while she's in her swing, or I have the radio on while she's in he vibrating seat. :)