Suspected emotional abuse/neglect...

edited December 2011 in Parenting

Comments

• I would try the child psychiatrist first!!
  • edited December 2011
  • Do you have any civil communication with his dad? Maybe inquire a little and tell his father your concerns and see how he reacts. I think you should consult with a child psy and see what they recommend. Your gut instinct is the best way to go though so reporting the issue, if only to give you sound of mind over your sons safety and happiness, is perfectly fine and not too extreme. My son is 7 and gets moody some weeks depending on change of schedule, diet changes (halloween candy!), lack of proper nights rest and he acts overly emotional and wont discuss issues as easily as some weeks. so i hope its just something similar to that. Good luck.
  • Has his school got a counsellor? Maybe enquire and see if he could speak to someone on a regular basis. That way he would miss school and can continue while he is with his dad. If the counselor us concerned about things he is saying then maybe you could be notified and take things further with either a psychologist or child services if necessary
  • Try getting him to talk without him knowing you are. Maybe have him draw a pic of what he is feeling. Play the secret game. If you tell him a secret he has to tell you one. Ect. I would talk to someone who sees him all the time and see what they have noticed
  • Ih he speaks to a school counsellor and the counsellor thinks there is something to be worried about he will notify the principal who will notify his dad and if he's dad doesn't take any further actions childrens services will be notified.