membrane sweep

edited November 2011 in Pregnant
What's the procedure ? What do they do too u? Cause.I think my doc did that too me last night when I went to the hospital without even telling. Me.and I'm 38weeks2days

Comments

• They just rub their fingers (usually 2) around babies head.
  • Yeaaa I think that's what my doc did too me it hurt sooo much, but what does that do too me???
  • Membrane sweeping is done by your midwife or doctor. While internally examining you, she will simply "sweep" a finger around your cervix (neck of your womb). The aim is to separate the membranes around your baby from your cervix. This releases hormones called prostaglandins, which may kick-start your labour.

http://www.babycenter.ca/pregnancy/labourandbirth/labour/membranesweepexpert/

They don't rub the their fingers around the babies head...
  • @firsttimer89 yeah well idk what he did too me but it hurt terribly bad he also told me I'll be bleeding a bit but its normal and not too worry about it unless its a lot of blood. Soo when I got home.I did bleed light pink blood and my contractions got sooo strong but I stayed home.cause he told me not too come back unless I can't walk o talk anymorr soo idk...I am.not having any contractions as if now soo idk...

Does this mean I am going.too go into labor sooner than my duee date.???
  • It is very common too bleed a little after having a membrane sweep.
    They can be affective but for example, I was sweeped three times before I went into labour with my first. For some women it can feel really uncomfortable, or even painful so try not too get too upset. If you feel like there is a bit more going on go in and see him/her it is better too be safe than sorry. For the most part, what you're going through sounds pretty normal. Just remember, true labor contractions will get longer in length, closer in frequency and stronger in intensity.
    Good luck, love
  • @firsttimer89 awww thank-you this helped me a lot andd I'm not mad it just irritates me how he didn't tell me what he was doing andd he basically kicked me out and.said I don't ever wannna seee.u here unless u can't walk o water breaks..but yeaa sooo does This mean I can.go.into labor anytime now since.he did this o sometimes.it doesn't workk???! What things should.I.do soo I can.go.into labor cause I'm.soo uncomfortable heehee. And thank-you. How far along r u??
  • :) I'm 16 weeks with our second baby
    Mods are a bit too busy for a name change.

Doctors can be extremely frustrating, I love my Midwife, and was more than happy to use her again for our second.

Usually if you were too go into labor it would be within two days of getting your sweep. I think, don't quote me it's about twenty five percent effective. Pretty much the only thing you can do from here is the usual stuff; Walk, Raspberry leaf tea, Sex, Spicy Foods etc

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/labourandbirth/planningyourbabysbirth/naturalbringonlabour/

The last stretch is the worst, I remember it. My Daughter is 6 Months old in two days, so they will be eleven months apart approximately. All this pregnancy, labor and delivery stuff is still pretty fresh, so I'm excited but not too excited for what's coming up haha
  • @firsttimer89 Yeahh I'm walking around right now I'm thinking about doing some squats heeheee cause I heard that actually helps also...ill keep u posted on what happens ok. And congrts on ur second bundle of joy...:]]]]
  • Thanks, and Thanks good luck!
  • Didn't work for me. And he may have touched the babies head. My midwife said 'yup he's def head down, I'm touching his head now'. I got my sweep done on the 8th. I bled the first cpl times I pee'd(like had blood on the tissue) then lost my plug the 9th and still loosing it!

And yea my sweep was painful too!! I asked for it, but my midwife said they couldn't do any induction until I hit 41 weeks.

Hope the sweep works for you!! I'm 40weeks +4. :(
  • Thank-you gooduck too u also hun
  • @leggs2011 awww really well yeh I hope it works for me was ur cervix soft???
  • Yes I was 50% effaced and 1.5-2 inches dilated. You? I haven't had any painful or consistant contractions. I have had quite a few back spasms, pain shoot up my spine and into my neck. :( but I think I'm just getting them from baby dropping and putting more strain on my back
  • @leggs2011 yeah i know how u feel, and well yeah i am 60%effaced and 1 1/2 dialated but the weird thing is when he checked me yest he said i wasnt dialated it was closed but with a soft cervix sooo idk who is right o wrong the doc o his helper that checked me in my appt last thursday idk...eeeek but yeah im hoping my daughter comes soon cause im sooo done being preggo and with contractions lol... i feel like shes ready i mean she is head down andd like he said very low he can feel her right there soo idk...wishhh us bothh luck andd bby dust too us<3