Anyone been prescribed Zoloft for PPD?

My son is 5 weeks old and I've been feeling really down almost the entire time he has been in this world. It's just him and me all day starting from when he wakes up about 4am unless my mom comes over for an hour until my boyfriend gets off work at 6pm. I've stopped asking my bf to get up a little earlier to help me...
For a while, I was wishing that I hadn't ever had him but those thoughts are gone. Every once in a while I'll start feeling like the selfish 21 year old that I am that misses out on partying or going out whenever I want but I don't regret my baby anymore. We had one really bad day when he was like 2 weeks old and I'm very ashamed of what I said to him. That's when I realized that I probably had a problem.
I always snap at my boyfriend and I've really been treating him like crap. I'll say that he wasn't the best of boyfriends while I was pregnant (talking to other girls inappropriately and cheating on me, just treating me like poo for almost half of my pregnancy) and I still have a lot of anger towards him because of that. He told me the other night that he'd been contemplating wether or not we should stay together because of how I've been acting. We had a really long talk and I thought it was better but I ended up doing the same things again.
I just feel overwhelmed, down, and like living day to day is the world's hardest task.
I finally called my doctor's office and talked to the nurse and she made me feel a lot better. She said my doc would probably call in Zoloft for me. I thought I could shake this feeling without going on medication but I don't think I can. I really hope that after being on this medication will help me feel better.

Comments

• I'm not sure :/ I hear it really works though :)
    & bump hope you find your answer.
  • edited November 2011
    I was prescribed it, I never it took it though. I dont believe in taking meds like that.
    My sister was also prescribed it and she said it helped her. She was going through a bad stage of depression
  • poor girl....i was prescribed zoloft and still havent started taking it. however i am planning to start this week bc the past 13 weeks has only progressively gotten worse. if you do not treat it, ppd will disturb your bond with your child. i am witnessing this currently and i am going to start tomorrow on mine. it has been sitting in my cabinet for over 2 months and i just kept saying to myself "youre so damn selfish, this baby loves you and you only care about yourself" however after much research, im not selfish im NORMAL
    this happens, generally at no fault of our own. it is very common with csections, which i had, and has grown in numbers of diagnosed cases over the years bc many more women are speaking up, whereas 10 yrs ago people believed if you had ppd, you were an unloving and unstable mother.

good luck keep us posted on your progress and i will do the same!
  • Who do you call to see if you have ppd? I've had so many major life changes in the past yr and I have no coping mechanisms. I thought I could handle it but I can't it's getting worse. @soon2b3 @loveourlittleone
  • @mam082711

your ob/gyn can help you or the nearest womens clinic usually help.
  • I was prescribed itvand took it 3-4 times.

I read about it online, males you feel like you have anxiety the first couple weels. So i decided to start taking it before bed. It was ok, i woke uup shskey and sweaty. But not to bad. One night, i took it atvthe ssame time, but wasnt able to go to bed yet. I felt anxiety, it scared me. Sobi stopped taking it
  • ive been told it is also an anti-anxiety so i would assume like any other medicine if you are being treated for something you do not have, it may make you feel like you have that symptom. the other thing i was told is that it can cause you to have trouble sleeping. it is also best to take during the day, as it works throughout the day. taking it at night will cause it to work throughout the night, when you do not need it.
    it will also take a week-3 weeks for it to fully be effective and for your body to fully adjust to the meds within the treatment.

again good luck
  • edited November 2011
    I take it for my depression and have for most of my pregnancy. I started on Celexa and it gave me the abnormal happys for a week or so, but I knew it was fake and I would crash soon. I switched over to Zoloft because the doctor who had prescribed it said it was safer in pregnancy. My regular GP told me it wasn't any safer but I continued taking it. I switched over to Zoloft with no problems.

I take mine at night because one of the side effects is drowsiness and it does, in fact, make me quite sleepy.
  • You are not the only one who feels like this! You are doing a great job mom, keep up the great work!

I have been on it since 2 weeks pp. Winthin a week I was already starting to feel better. Your story reads as if I wrote it about me. Its been 12 weeks since I was on it and I am soooooooooooo much better and able to enjoy being a mom and have fun with my lo. Sometimes it is hard to see how things can be better when you feel so down, but they can and will get better! Take the meds for the babys sake and your own :-) you're doing awesome already by recognizing the issue. In two weeks you'll be amazed at how far you've come.
  • I take wellbutrin. Works great for me. I was crying everyday before. Now I feel normal again.
  • They prescribed me zoloft as well and i took it once and it gave me such a bad headache for 2 days straight so i didnt continue taking it. I heard it can take up to 4 weeks to have the full effect. I need something with a right away effect because they way i feel is terrible. I have had suicidal thoughts almost every day and always am crying. I hope it gets better or they find a medication that will work for me if this one doesnt.
  • Im taking it I have ppd bad! It takes 4-6 weeks for full effect, but.you should start feeling small improvements after a week. I take it at night because it makes me drowsy.
  • @kalilasmomma05 all anti dependents take that long unfortunately. Ask your dr about taking benzos (xanax, ativan, klonopin). These help with anxiety and take effect in 30 min to two hours depending on the drug.