Bedtime Madness

edited December 2011 in Depression
Bedtime is seriously making me lose my mind. I look at my husband sleeping (every night for 6 weeks) and I want to punch him. I get he's working and I'm still on maternity leave, but this is really taking a toll on me.
Every night my 6 week old daughter decides to stay awake from 9-2, and she wants to eat constantly. If she falls asleep and I lay her down - or I lay down while holding her - as soon as she wakes up she wants to eat. I try giving her a pacifier and she won't take it. There is no soothing her until I give her the boob.
I'm so frustrated at this point and I feel like I'm going to lose it. I tell my husband but he just goes back to sleep.
I'm not sure if I'm going to throw my phone through the TV or cry. Either way this is breaking me - I don't know how much longer I can for it.
I don't know what to do anymore. I go back to work in a week and will be getting up at 4:30 so I can't go to bed at 2 am.

Comments

• Wow I just had the EXACT same conversation with my best friend just a few min ago! We both have newborns and struggle to put them to bed, which is the only time he gives me a hard time to go to sleep. And she was just complaining to me that her hubby wont even offer to help so she can take a break, thankfully mine is a bit more helpful. Does ur baby sleep alot during the day? Mine does and Im pretty sure thats where the issue lies, maybe if we can keep them up a bit more during the day?
  • If you can try keeping up a little more during the day play with her and talking to her more and keep the lights on if its dark. At night turn the light off or dim them to the lowest and try not to have and talking to her or to much interaction and dont change diaper unless it really fool or soiled. Also try a bath before bed and feed. Have you tried feeding laying down?
  • Im having the exact same problem tonight! I wish I had given her a bath earlier to help soothe her but I was too tired then and way too tired now. My boobs are tired! Give me a break! Its 1am and Im about to the point I don't even want to hold her. And of course hubby could care less.
  • edited December 2011
    I totally understand you, it's so hard and your body needs the rest. This is what I'm doing for now until I go back to work since my son is still small (my hubby is a heavy sleeper) and I'm on maternity leave I stay up at night. My hubby leaves for work at 5am and he's usually home by 2 or 3pm once he gets home I give him the baby and I go to sleep. It really makes it a bit easier at night. At first I'd just nap here and there and it was so hard on me. I go back to work in Feb and by then my son will be 4 1/2 months so we will be rotating the "night shift". You really need your rest and your hubby needs to help you. And also try doing what the ladies mentioned, keeping your son up longer in the day that should help.
  • I feel ur pain, me and the lo are up as I type & its 1:34am. She's 2months btw, she jus has her night where she thinks 2am is playtime. I jus be like a zombie lol
  • The only thing I haven't tried is bath time at night & that's because I was told not to bathe her that often. She does sleep a lot during the day, but she does the same thing on the days she's awake.
    I feel like I've tried everything. My Nextel move is supplementing
    I'm going to try have my husband give her a formula bottle while I pump & see if that helps. I'll feed her after she wakes up. I was told formula keeps them more satisfied.
  • I went through the same thing,it'll get better,your Lo could still have her nights and days mixed up a little. I agree with @angie87 keep her up as much as possible and keep lights on! And then at night its lights off. She will catch on soon. Hang in there girl,you can do this :)
  • Formula definetely keeps them more satisfied, breast milk goes right through them.
  • I'm with you ladies my lo is doing the same thing he just won't sleep at night he just wants to nurse and nurse he's on the boob right now