when did u start adding cereal to formula???

edited December 2011 in Ages & Stages
My son is a month old and he chows down on bottle consuming over 24+ ounces in one day. Sometimes he acts like he isn't full. My sister keeps telling I'm going to have to add cereal before long. My mil is telling me the same thing. I'm seeing his pedi on Friday so I'm going tp ask. I know wic told me 3 to 4 mths. But my son is growing fast its like he is baby genius lol

Comments

• ive been told never to put cereal in a bottle. But heres a bump. Cause I know I wouldnt give any until 4 months at least. My baby is 5.1 months and I just started cereal
  • My 17 month old was takin 4 oz every 1 1/2 hours so her pediatrician told me to start at 4 wks. This baby is 5 wks 3 days I added a tiny bit like 1/4 of a teaspoon a couple days ago to each bottle an will jus keep adding a tiny bit more after a couple days till her belly is use to it if not there belly will hurt an be constipated .
  • I dont think its necessary. There is lots research saying its not too. But thats just my opinion
  • @Alwayzbeenurz2008 I'm not really for sure I've never breastfed but I do no sumone that did an the babys Dr told her not to add anything to breast milk until 6 months old.
  • I've heard not to add cereal into bottles.
  • thank you @mrz_jackson2anpreggo
    That's what I've been told but everyone keeps telling I'm going to have to add cereal sooner than I think. @proudmommy8789
  • My son started it at 3 months to help with his reflux... But Dr said to spoon feed it
  • U can add cereal to breast milk my friend did it I started &.stopped & started again I don't give much cereal now because we will b starting solids in a couple weeks
  • Every one has there own opinion. However I will never feed my child rice in a bottle. I work in day care and we are not allowed to give babies rice in bottles because of the health hazards. If your pedi says you can go got it. I just won't, the only time I've ever known a baby have it is she needed to because of acid reflux being sooooo bad!
  • Me & everybody I kno have done it early because the milk goes straight thru them, I started my baby at 3wks but not in every bottle & jus a lil. I did the same with my nephew & he's 4 & perfectly healthy. I was honest with Wic & my baby dr wen they asked me. Wic didn't agree but my doc said it wouldn't hurt baby! They say something about choking hazard but baby chokes on straight milk if hole in bottle is too big, but its totally up to you.
  • I tried cereal for the first time this week. I have a 7week old who never seems full. my mom kept telling me to try it however I was hesitant after all I have read. eventually I gave in and tried it but it hasnt changed his frequent eating habits. plus I feel like it has made him even more fussy. I think it's too soon for my son but it's up to every mom to make their own decision.
  • Thank you for the advice @everyone
  • If you feel comfortable giving it to the baby do so i did at a.month an my son is perfectly fine an hes 3 now at like 4 or 5 months i started putting babyfood in it as well an he slept through the night !!!
  • My dr told me I could do 1tsp per oz. My lo is 2 months I do it once a day. Normally at nite cuz she sleeps better.
  • I started mine at a month old. I added to breast and fornula.. it helps his reflux and sleep better at night
  • I actually did my own post awhile back on something like this. I had a suspicion tht my MIL was giving my LO cereal in her bottle to help her sleepat only 4 weeks. Being premie tht would only make her a literal newborn. But anyhow, i swore i wouldnt feed Lily cereal til at least 6 months but she tanks her food! She is 4 1/2 months and jus the other day i started her on rice cereal(its easier on the baby to start with rice instead of oatmeal). I make her usual 6oz bottle and in a little bowl mix 2 tablespoons of cereal with 4 tablespoons of the formula from the bottle(same measurements with breastmilk) and mix it up real good. I spoon feed her and if she starts gettin too fussy or when shes done i jus giv her the rest of the bottle. I do this twice a day. Good luck! :-bd