Bootcamp Mommy: Day One

edited December 2011 in Parenting
Okay, so my husband and I PCS'd (military move) out of state a few weeks after our daughter was born. Since we were moving some place new and staying in different hotels, we decided to let our LO stay in our bed at night and nap in our arms most of the time. We are finally moved in to our new home, and we are trying to transition her to her own crib in her own room...needless to say, she isn't too thrilled about it. So, today we start bootcamp mommy, with an end goal that she sleeps comfortably and soundly in her crib everytime she naps and goes to bed. :) any tips are greatly appreciated!

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • She is 7 weeks old today. I feel ferrible hearing her cry but i have to keep telling myself that she is safe, clean, and fed so there is no need for her to cry.
  • Aww, she's too young, I've heard around 3 or 4 months is a good time to start, she still likes to be close to you, she's crying for your love, I know it's hard, but if you're gonna do it that young then start slow, she's in a new enviroment. Let her sleep in your arms in her room, then put her in crib for one nap a day, slowly adding more naps in there, then let her sleep in there at night, but if she wakes up and wants to be with you then let her. Slowly but surely, is the best way when they're that little. Good luck!
  • Omg im doing the same thing starting today lol its so hard
  • This may be a crazy thought, and I only do it cuz I don't want hubby to get woken up by her being in our room and she's not much of a crier, but if its what everyone is saying and she just wants to be near you have you considered sleeping in her room for a night or two? Then maybe once she's not used to the room you can start to transition out? I duno. Might be a last resort.
  • I meant once she's USED to the room.
  • I personally believe that at that age they cry for a reason, which maybe just because she wants a cuddle, after all she is quite new so its all still quite daunting :) but she's your baby and you can bring her up as u like :) so try swaddle her and put the t-shirt you've been wearing all day in with her so she's comforted by your sent?
  • I'd at least start with a bassinet or something in your room. Your putting her way too out of her element too quickly. The transition needs to be slower and less traumatic and she'll respond better. My pediatrician said they don't form habits til 4-6 months so you have time. Also, she has plenty of time later in life to be independent, let her be a baby :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • wht i did with ayva was she spends most of her time in her room. she plays eats and gets changed in her room. also having her play in her crib during the day will help. i had ayva in her room by 5wks. and shes 15wks now and sleeps thru the night and everything
  • Thanks for all the tips everyone. She did amazing! No tears at all and slept from 830pm to 530am...minus the 2am feeding, in which she went right back to sleep. I put my pillowcase on her bed where her head lays and she slept great. The only time she cries is during her naps...which I may just let her swing in her swing if she doesn't want to lay in her crib because she sleeps well in it.
  • Good for you, glad it worked out:)
  • Awesome job momma! So glad she is sleeping in her crib for you.
  • great job be careful though your baby is very young and SIDS is a problem I am going ti start my son next week but he is 16 weeks