I am just over protective

edited December 2011 in Parenting
Ive been looking for daycare. I go back to in feb. I dont want her at large facility cuz im afraid she'll get sick a lot. I found a few home daycares. One woman i really like. She's been doing it for over 15 yrs. The problem i have is there are 7 toddlers enrolled already ranging from18 months to 4 yrs old. She said that she will also get a 6 week old in april. I just picture my daughter strapped in a bouncy all day. My husbands thinks im overprotective, he said she knows what she's doing. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Not overptotective, that is a lot of little ones!!! She has help right? If just her I would have same concerns!!!
  • I wouldn't put my child in day care I'm so over protective. Thankfully my mom is going to be watching my babe. I would try and find someone with less charges or if you have any stay at home mom friends that you could pay to watch her.
  • I think you should be picky! be as picky as can be! your baby will be there for majority of the day so you should feel safe.i work at a big daycare and there are a lot of ppl who dont know what they are doing and if there are too much kids in a home daycare she may not have enough time for your lo! look into a nanny? I was also a nanny & its more personal then daycare..expensive tho
  • Will she let you drop in unexpectedly? If not thats a huge red flag, before you choose, randomly stop by (not during a nap) and see how she's handling everything. If she doesn't let you in saying its against regulations thats bs, my mom owns a daycare and people stop in all the time
  • @jellybelly1015 no its just her. I know someone who used her for both her kids when they were babies. She said that her kids loved her and still talk about her to this day.
    @junebuggbabie85 no one i know can watch her. I wish my parents would retire so they could watch her.
  • @moodymommie i wish i could afford a nanny. We can only afford $600, and it would be about 6 hrs a day, mon-thurs.

@kimberly4411 when i arranged to meet with her she said that she's home everyday and to come by whenever. I did tell her the day and approx time b4 going over there but it was naptime. You think i should drop by again. Without calling first?
  • Definetly, maybe during lunch, if she said you could drop by whenever then do it! I would do it multiple times just to feel good about it, at different times, try to locate where she has all the children and how calm she is
  • Just wanna add... U can NEVER be too over-protective when it comes to your children. ;)
  • I just went back to work today and my lo is 8 weeks old. I found a lady who does a home daycare but currently only has 2 parttimers. I checked references and really like her but I still panicked on my way there and sobbed leaving. Hardest thing I have done in my life! Make sure u are comfortable or it will be impossible!! She was great and sent me updates and pictures all day!!
  • I work in a day care. I've always wanted to do in home. she isnt allowed by the state to have more kids then she can handle. If shes been doing it for 15 yrs she probably does know her stuff. In mn we have a 1 to 4 ratio in the baby room. she prob is allowed 2 babies, 2 toddlers, and 4-5 preschool. It's good to go with someone you like tho! at my work it is $180 a week! The negatives of in home are. If something happened to her or a family member you wouldn't have anything to. I know a woman who does in home. Her 21 yr old son unexpectedly died and she was off for over a month and the parents had to manage finding care else where during that time. & you don't know what is going on there where as at a day care there are many more staff members & alot of ppl have cameras.
  • edited December 2011
    Not over protective at all, I always said if it weren't for my mom who will be watching our son I'd quit my job. But you're doing the right thing by doing your research.
  • In my opinion that is too many young children for one person to care for. Is she licensed?
  • @carrielee thats a good question. Shes gotta be if shes been doing it for 15 yrs I would think. I guess maybe it depends on the state!

You should look up your state regulations for in home care!! See what she is allowed to take in at a time!
  • I know here in Oregon to be certified by the state as in home daycare you can not have that many babies with just yourself. U can have 2 babies under the age of 2 per adult from what I understand and by asking my daycare providers. I would be very Leary of that lady with so many little ones she can't possibly keep an eye on all of them safely unless she cages them all into one area I suppose
  • @carrielee @babyluv8 she's licensed. She said her license allows for up 14 children but she said she would never take that many. The other two in home daycares i found in my area have an 8 to 1 ratio.
  • Hmmmm thats weird. Doesn't make sense that she could have 14 where the other 2 can only have 8!
  • @babyluv8 i looked it up and the state has two catergories small family home - 8 kids and a large family home - 14 kids.
  • edited December 2011
    Thats interesting. I was going to say to kind of back that women up. By the time that baby starts in april the 18 month old will probably be 2! So having 2 infants and more over 2 shouldn't be to bad. if I were you i'd go with who you like. Thats just me.