soo confused on this cerial thing!! help!

edited December 2011 in Food
dunno y this is soo hard for me right now.. I just tried giving my 4 month old cerial with a spoon.. but it was sooo runny n making a mess!(i.put 1tbs with 5tbs formula)! so I just put 1 scoop of cerial in her 6oz bottle of formula.. should I not make it so runny? Help!!

Comments

• It depends, is he liking it? You can slowly add more cereal to increase the thickness if he seems okay with it. You want to ease the thickness to make sure he can digest it without it hurting his tummy
  • I always made it 2 to 1, 1 spoon of cereal to 2 of formula, or as thin as you can make it, to try it out at first. Once you know they are ready to eat off the spoon (the tongue thrusting reflex is gone) you can make it a little thicker.
  • I heard cereal isn't good for the babies. There's so many preservatives in it n simple carbs. There was a post about it called baby food is a four letter word I think. Great info u shud look for it
  • I think when introducing it, it should be kind of runny, only because babies aren't used to texture. On the back of the Gerber box/can there is measurments that I followed and it worked out great. She started at 4 months, she's now 7.75 months and I mix the oatmeal with baby food and some juice. She loves it!
  • You can use water but just make it thinner. Give it some texture atleast instead of being runny! Then just thicken it as you go. They usually like rice cereal so when you get a hang of it. Should be easy breezy
  • Just add less formula. You're suppose to make it runny at first because they aren't used to eating thick foods