My LO is 4 months and will be startin baby food

edited December 2011 in Food
Ok so, my lil guy had his 4 month check up today, all is lovely. Told his dr I already had him on rice cereal at his evening feeding and she was glad to hear he was doing well with that and said that he can start real food now. I always have started them at 4 months, but WIC has recently said don't start them til 6 months because of food allergies, and developing them. That is NOT true....

http://babybulletblog.com/node/165

I am a momma of 4 and I know info has always been changing, but I also know that a lot of information drs and professionals give u isn't exactly what is best for YOU. Have u ever told somebody something and it was easier to just tell them rather than explain why and give various exceptions to the rule? That's pretty much what a lot of people do. Instead of them telling every single patient every single detail about every single scenario, they just say point blank, wait this long just to be on the safe side. Soooo, I hope this starts to answer a few questions. Of course, I am not a Dr, but I AM a mom, and I do trust my instincts as one. ;)

Comments

• Glad he is doing well. :) I'm not starting baby food until 6 months. My baby isn't even on cereal yet. Lol. Just milk. :) She'll be 6 months in 9 days.
  • Yeah Bentley's pedi said to start him at 4 months too. I didn't understand the whole allergy thing. If they had an allergy to a certain food, wouldn't it be there regardless of them being a newborn, 4 months, 6 months, etc?
  • edited December 2011
    @BentleysMommy716 No, allergies can develop more easily the younger they are. That's why they shouldn't have peanut butter until a year old. They are less likely to develop an allergy the later they get it.

Side note: I was allergy-free my whole life until I was 15. They can develop at any age.
  • Bryce has been on Rice Cereal for just a little while but does well with it. But he was a tiny tot when he was born, and is still little, but growing like normal. And with my first I was a little skeptical, but I started a tad bit of cereal because he is gentlease formula because of SEVERE gas, and his poop literally was straight up liquid when I switched. Once he started having rice from a spoon it got back to normal and he seems happier. He eats his cereal at 7pm, goes to bed at 9 after his bath and sleeps til 6am without fail. He has turned around from being gassy and upset and just never happy to being a bubbly flirty snuggly little man I am so in love with lol I hope your lil love does as well with solids as my lil guy cuz it's so fun lol
  • @bentleysmommy716 according to this info yes that's just about right. Did u read it?
  • @fate did u read this?
  • Yes. Lol. I read it. I ate strawberries until I was hospitalized at 15 for a developed allergy to them. Better safe than sorry, is my thinking. :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @rileyandme whoa! He was like backwards then huh? Cuz ususlly the high risk ones are the acidic ones! Well, I hope it's not genetic for u either!
  • @RileyAndMe be careful, your bd may have developed a latex allergy also
  • My son will be 4 months on the 15th and he is on nutramigen because milk allergy and hr gets very gassy easily.. I tried rice on a spoon and oatmeal and I've never seen him in sooooooo much pain. It took about 5 enemas and juice to make him go poop. I don't know what to do now
  • edited December 2011
    Really? @lafiitz89 that is SO sad :( was his tummy hard? I would strongly suggest getting colic calm, I KNOW it's $20, but omg it is AMAZING! You can get it at a cvs for sure, if u buy it there it'll be cheaper than buying it online. It's one big batch of all natural goodness that helps the body heal and get much better, rather than just fixing the current symptoms til next time. I would start there. I stopped buying it after I completed one bottle because he no longer had issues, it was great. But dr says that if baby's tummy (while he's calm and "normal" not screaming or crying or trying to sit up or anything) is hard, then and only then is baby constipated, otherwise no. And I know that's hard to believe at times when u see ur lo in so much pain and u have noticed that poop habits changed, I get skeptical all the time. But, colic calm also helps when introducing babies to new diet changes such as cereal a foods. I would definitely give that a shot if u can.
  • My baby doesn't like it every day I can feed him sweet potato one day & he.does great then the next hates it he doesn't like rice cereal by spoon...i need help
  • Yeah his tummy was like a rock all day long he was so tired and didn't even sleep cuz of the pain. It even made my husband cry =( I use gas drops and gripe water but it only helps a lil if that
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @lafiitz89 ohhh man :( colic calm is different than gas drops and gripe water. Its awesome stuff!