rice/oatmeal mommas

edited January 2012 in Solid Foods
For the mommas that give their little ones rice or oatmeal cereal.. when did you start giving it? Do you do it through a bottle or spoon? How often? Which do you give, rice or oatmeal?

My LO just isn't getting full from her breastmilk and formula. It took 10 ounces to fill her up then 2 hours later she ate 4 more ounces. She never seems full.

Comments

• My son doesn't like.spoon fed cereal I put it in his bottle sometimes
  • My daughter just turned 4 months and her doctor started her on rice cereal stage 1 twice a day mixing it with her formula and spoon feeding her. If she does okay with it than in 3 days I can start her on oatmeal and if she does good with that we can move on to blended foods.
  • Started rice cereal at 3 months with pedi's ok. If you start, do rice. Oatmeal is too thick for them just starting solids.
  • @preggointx how old is your lo? How much do you put in the bottle??

@2ndbutfirst she's 13 weeks old. She was breastfed until 11 weeks and now she's on formula and takes what I pumped and stored.

@monkey_girl my daughters pediatrician wants to start fruits/veggies at 4 months as well.. but she still has another month until she's 4 months.
  • I give me 9 wks old cereal from her bottle she absolutely loves all my kids have she won't take a regular formula bottle anymore lol I only give oatmeal after it was on the news that rice has arsnic levels but I worry over every thing lol my other kids Startd wit rice . But always liked oatmeal better .an I noticed rice constipated my baby more then oatmeal did
  • Half a formula scoop per bottle to start my baby started it at 2 months he is 4 months now
  • I did rice at almost 4 months with a spoon and she loved it. But rice made her constipated so we switched to oatmeal shortly after.
  • I started my son wit 1 teaspoon of rice in one bottle mixed with 5 ozs of breastmilk at 2& 1/2 months. Now hes almost 3 months & i do a teaspoon in all his bottles. He takes 5 bottles a day & i nurse him once a day also :) Havent seen any bad results yet!
  • @firsttimeoct_mom do you have to use a different nipple? I put 1/4 teaspoon (i was scared to do too much) in a 4 oz bottle with a cross cut nipple and she freaked out and acted like she was choking, i dont think it comes out of the 0+ nipples
  • Awesome. Thanks everyone for the info.
  • @Kimberly4411 no i didnt have to use a different nipple but i use evenflow nipples 0-3months & if i do instead of slitting it i just use a safety pin to make the hole a little wider!
  • @1stwoodsbaby I was told 2 teaspoons with a 4oz bottle...I am ebf so idk if there is a difference with formula.
  • 3 months and bottle at night.
  • 4 months, and i spoon feed him. he does awesome with it! even on his first time with a spoon he was opening his mouth for it and everything. i started with oatmeal, and just moved on to rice. the oatmeal is much tastier IMO. we've been having sleep issues that i don't think are related to the cereal, but i had stopped oatmeal bc i thought it gave him a belly ache, hence the sleep issue. today was the first rice day and so far he's sleeping well. *fingers crossed*
  • I started giving it to my daughter at 3 months, in her bedtime bottle, one scoop of rice. Then I moved up to giving it to her in her morning bottle. About a week later I started giving it in every bottle, she just isn't satisfied without it! You will be amazed your lo will sleep so good!
  • We just gave our lo rice cereal in her bottle last night and she loved it! She drank it in like 10 minutes! It was a 5 and a half oz bottle of bm.