formula just isnt cutting it.

edited January 2012 in Formula Feeding
My daughter is 13 weeks old. She was breastfed until 11 weeks. Now I'm giving her formula and the pumped milk I had stored up. Well we are having problems getting Keegan full. She eats about 10 ounces.. then 2 hours later wants to eat 6-8oz again. I only make the bottles 2-4 oz at a time so I know I'm not forcing her to finish the bottles. when she finishes one she Just screams and screams until she gets more.

Should a 13 week old be eating this much?

Comments

• 10 ounces in one feeding?!?
  • I honestly think its alot compared to what Nyla is drinking. My daughter is 14 weeks drinks 3oz every 4 to 5 hrs
  • My son's 17 weeks and he is majorly bf but will take a formula bottle between 4-6oz and that'll set him up for 3 hrs. Maybe growth spurt?
  • @excitedforoctober hiii girl :) hows WoRk???
  • My son is 3 months and eats 4 ozs every 2-4 hours. He sleeps through the night wakea up in the morning and eats 4 ozs.
  • @excitedforoctober yes one feeding. She just screams until she gets more. @mrsthompson34 I think its a lot too. Way too much.

Should I call her pediatrician and see What's going on? I added rice cereal to her bottle earlier today for the first time hoping it'd help fill up her. It didn't work.
  • my 16week old eats 6oz ... every 3hr.. n thats alo tg I think.. cuz she's a chubbster too
  • Have u tried giving her a paci?? Nyla loves her paci & sometimes i have to take her paci out & give her a bottle
  • @mrsthompson34 she refuses a Paci. Wont even open her mouth to put it in.
    @wyattsmommy ill prob call tomorrow just to ease my mind like you said. At first I thought She was just a good eater but now Idk since she screams for more.
  • Yeah that def seems like alot. My LO is 11 weeks and drinks 4-5oz every 2 -4 hours...dont think its the formula though, I woulda thought it would be more filling than breastmilk.

@Mrsthompson34 hi girl!!! :) ugh work is BUSY! The girls that covered me during my leave must have had their head up their ass the whole time bcuz my office is a huge mess! :( But atleast it helps time fly to the time I can come home to see my chunkers Zori. How have u been?? Ooops, dont wanna hijack 1stwoods post....
  • It's definitely too much. I have an
    8 month old who eats 8 ounces every 4 hours. I would call doc and voice your concern. I think a baby that age should be eating no more than 4 ounces every 2-3 hours.
  • Is it possible that she's not over full with a belly ache that makes her think she's hungry? Babies don't know what exactly they're feeling. They'll keep eating trying to soothe the discomfort.
  • It does seem excessive, like suggested might be from a belly ache. My son would act the same so I started offering 1/2 an oz of water after a feed and it soothed tge belly pain and helped train him to stop fussing for more when he wasn't really hungry
  • Yeah, that's a lot my lo is 12 weeks and he drinks 3-4 oz every 2-3 hours.
  • Maybe she just misses the breast so she's hoping that by showing u she's soooooo hungry that ull Just pop out the boob. I had my son pretty much weaned to only night time feedings but just recently he is alllll about bf!
  • my 3 month old has been eating right around 36 ounces of formula per day since she was 6-7 weeks old...i was freaked out but the dr said as long as they dont drink more then 36-40 oz or day its okay
  • @mommyof3jac that's a possibility. She still searches and roots for my nipple when he bottle runs out.
    @kenzie0713 that makes me feel a little better. Thank you for Sharing that info.
  • Babies are only supposed to drink 30 oz max so i would definitely call
  • Maybe she's colic and is eating for comfort.
  • I called and we have an appt for 2pm tomorrow. Thank Youfor All the suggestions!