How To Stop Swaddling

edited January 2012 in Parenting
So, for all mommies that swaddled their little one, how did you get them to sleep on their own? Did you stop cold turkey, or did you wean them out of it somehow?

Comments

• I just kinda go back and forth and when he isn't swaddled I just tuck a blanket around him cuz it's so cold
  • I just stopped cold turkey & he did fine. But sometimes when he's really fussy during the day i'll pull out his swaddle blanky & it puts him right to sleep..he's 3 1/2 months
  • I stopped at 2 months the twins hated it....
  • trying to figure out how as well :)
  • We went from swaddling to a sleep sack, and he transitioned great.
  • I wrap my daughter loosely now so as soon as she is in bed she wriggles and it all falls off. After she is asleep I tuck a warm blanket over her
  • I swaddle just his arms and he sleeps sooo well. I decided to not do it tonight, actually, to see how he does. I always tuck a blanket around hin though. They can't be swaddled forever lol
  • I stopped cold turkey and his sleeping pattern was messed up for a week. It sucks,but you can't swaddle your baby forever.
  • @mommahadababy I hope Dillon's is messed up! He always manages to get his hands free so hopefully he doesn't notice :-S
  • That's why i stopped @mam082711,he kept wriggling free in the middle of the night and would wake up violently& very upset. It only took me a week to transition him& a few weeks after that he started sleeping 8 hours through the night..getting him to sleep without his swaddle was the best thing i ever did.
  • See, he sleeps well usually. Last few nights have been rough, but people keep saying there's a 4 month sleep regression, so maybe that's it. Idk. His usual pattern is he goes down between 8-9 and wakes up for a diaper and a snack between 3-4 and out til 7. A couple nights were 10 hrs straight. We wrap his arms tight (and only for bed, not for naps) bc if we don't, he'll wake himself up scratching his face all up, and he also does seem to *love* being wrapped up. Some nights he smiles as we're wrapping him up for bed lol He still somehow manages to get his hands out toward the end of his sleep. He's too old for the mittens IMO; I don't want them choking him cuz he always gets his hands out and chews on them. I clip and file his nails constantly, but they're always sharp. If he wasn't edward scissorhands jr, he might be ok w.o a swaddle. Idk though lol @mommahadababy
  • My lo started busting out of it after like a month. Then she decided she hated it lol.
  • And he did wake himself up tonight after only 2 hrs scratching away. So I ended up wrapping him anyway. I think he might have excema (sp?). I use an excema lotion all over and it calms him down. He gets fidgety, I lotion, he calms. Will find out on Tues at dr appt.
  • Wow...Daniel is 7 months. Ive obviously gotten too comfortable with the swaddle!
  • @captainmorgaine,i stopped around 2 months so he wouldn't get so used to it. It may take you longer to transition him. Can he roll over? I don't think they recommend swaddling after a child can roll over. =( i hope this all works out for you!
  • So last night we went unswaddled, and he had NO problem. I ended up swaddling him again in the middle of the night because he was cold (Im at my boyfriends house, and we've only got receiving blankets here), but Ive got him all set up with a warm quilt tonight. Hes sleeping peacefully as I type. :) Lets hope it stays this easy.
  • I'm having this issue too. He hates his swaddle but won't sleep without it :( I keep trying but then he just won't sleep. He's two months.