Formula ?

edited January 2012 in Ages & Stages
My son is 10 weeks. I've just decided to start formula feeding. My question is...how many ounces should I give him?

Comments

• My sons Pediatrician says feed them until they're full, but at 10 weeks i believe my son was at 4oz
  • I would start out with two ounces and see if he still wants more. My doctor always says if you think you need to start upping his formula do it 1/2 ounce at a time, and just wait, because even though they will drink more at the time, they might get a belly ache from drinking too much.
  • My son is 13 weeks and drinks 3-4oz (very rarily does he drink 4) every 2-3 hours. I'd say start off with 3 and see if he gets full with that.
  • I think 4oz is a good place to start, maybe 3 since formula is new to him.
  • @EzrasMommy @My2Boys @JuliansMommy Thank yall!! Breastfeeding is becoming like a chore and so stressful. Should I try different formulas or is there a best?
  • When my baby girl was born she drank a full 2Oz bottle and now she is 2 months and drinks 8-10 Oz rarily 10 only when daddys feeding her she does that
  • @Sands3 I started with Nestle GoodStart and then switched to the soy one after about a week and talking with Jaksyns doctor. You can start with one and see how he does, and switch if you need to, and talk to your doctor if you are concerned. I would take into consideration though that it may take a while for baby to get used to formula, I would not just assume he does not like the kind or it upsets his belly right away, give him time to get used to it.
  • @2ndbutfirst that's too much math for me. Lol!
  • I have to use similac sensitive. The regular was too tough on my daughters tummy. Shes 2.5 weeks and drinks 2.5-3 oz every 3-4 hours.
  • Breastfeeding IS a major commitment, but after a few months its a piece of cake.....and FREE!! ;) good luck with whatever u choose! Id start small on the formula. ..
  • edited January 2012
    My son did good with both enfamil & similac but he's on enfamil.
  • Can you mix formula and breastmilk? I plan to pump just to relieve pressure until I dry up.
  • yes you can, I never have, but I have heard many times and read on here that you can.
  • @BelleReust breastfeeding has been easy, he latches well, but being alone with a 10 week old and 3 yr old is stressful. I feel I did good.
  • Yes you can put half formula half breastmilk. My son drinks 4 oz every 2-4 hrs.
  • I use enfamil.
  • my daughter is 9 weeks, weighs 13lbs and takes 7oz bottles.
  • @JoshnEviesmum Awe big girl! Jack is 10 weeks, weighs 12lbs and I just gave him a 4oz bottle. I might need go go to 5oz
  • yup shes a chunky monkey haha, did he take it ok though? and yeah we just had to up it to the 7oz but since we did last week shes been sleeping from midnight till 6.30 so really happy with that x
  • 4 oz is good to start with and if ur baby doesn't drink it all then u know the next time u should start by mixing bm and formula for atleast.the first two days
  • Landon has been drinking 5oz for a few weeks now! I know formula is suppossed to be more filling than breast milk though. Hopefully you come to a feeding conclusion quick. As for what you should use, I'd suggest starting with normal enfamil, similac, or gentlease. Are you eligibale for wic? It helps a lot! You can only get enfamil with them, but they will provide you with whichever kind of enfamil he handles best.
  • @momma_tiffay yea we get wic but I had to reschedule our appt cuz Connor was sick. We go on the 24th. I have newborn formula now but I just bought good start cuz I had a coupon. He did really good with it. I gave him 4 oz this morning and he seems very satisfied. He even burped right away, which usually doesn't happen.
  • I'm glad it worked out:)
  • @JuliansMommy Thanks. He enjoyed it so much, he got mad when the bottle was empty. Lol.
  • @sands3, well I'm glad wic got you in quick! They always tell me that if I miss an appt it will take 6weeks to reschedule! Ugh! Newborn formulas fine as long as he handles it well, that can be used through the 3rd month, & my previous post wasn't meant to say gentlease.... that's what's Landons on, but I meant to say goodstart lol.
  • My LO is 10weeks and will eat 5-7 oz. every few hours. Hes 12 lbs 11oz. Last week at his 2 month appt our pediatrician said he'll eat more during the day if he sleeps good at night to make up for lost time. He usually eats 6-8 hours at night so he eats very well throughout the day lol
  • Sleeps 6-8 hours, not eats 6-8 hours...oops :)
  • @momma_tiffay yea he handles it well and he will def be done with that can before he's 3 months. He actually slept for 6 straight hours last night. I woke up and got worried at one point. Lol