Social Security Numbers

edited January 2012 in Parenting
I have a divorce pending and my ex-husband wants my daughters social security number. I believe it is to claim her on his taxes since you get money back and he recently just put a new motor and transmission in his truck. I didn't work this past year so I can't claim taxes. He keeps threatening me about going to the judge since I wont give it to him. My lawyer said not to and I called the social security office and they said I personally don't have to, but he does have the right to go and get it from them. I don't see a reason for him to need her social security number since her doctor has it on file. What do ya'll think?

Comments

• edited January 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I told him I talked to my lawyer and I don't have to give it to him. He said he was calling dfacs back because they told him I did. I know I can't stop him from going to the social security office, but he makes mine and my daughter's life a living hell so why should I save him time?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • If you cant file this year why not let him???
  • @Kindell because he will try to claim her every year after and he won't give me any of the money. The custodial parent is the one that is suppose to claim her and it's not his place.
  • He can't claim her unless he has proof of her living with him.
  • edited January 2012
    My mom does tax prep. Does anybody in your home work and file taxes? If they file as head of household they can claim her, and possibly you if you didn't work.
  • Once you have your divorce hearing, thwy should give u certain terms to follow for taxes. Mine was: I claimed our son on odd years, my ex husband claimed on even years. So he wont be able to claim her every year
  • @Steph_Due_101611 Yes, I live with my parents and my daughter only stays with him one night every week. I didn't work this past year so my accountant said I couldn't file. My parents said if they claim her that they would be in more trouble than they would be if they didn't claim her.

@DavidnAadynsMama I don't think it's fair that he gets to claim her at all since he pays nothing for her. I had to go buy everything for her because when I left him he took everything people had given us.

@RileyAndMe Atleast she doesn't have the right to go and get it. I don't have to give it to him, but he does have the right to go to the social security office and get it.
  • If you don't have to give it to him then don't bc its true he will try and claim her ever year which its not fair I agree u either take turns every other year or whoever files u just divide the money in half every year.
  • @addysmama I know. Im not saying its fair at all. I agree he should pay to help take care of her but the court will most likely set up a plan similar to what I said once you go for your hearing. That way, if he ever claims her on a year that is yours, you'll have a court order & he will get in trouble
  • Also, if you have lived with your parents more than 6 months this year, they CAN claim her as long as you dont have any court orders saying your ex is entitled to it this year
  • @DavidnAadynsMama The court system doesn't make anything fair. I don't feel like it is about the child at all, it is only about fathers rights. In my case the father is deadbeat and doesn't deserve rights but they don't seem to care.
  • @DavidnAadynsMama My parents seem to think that it will not benefit them, but make it worse. They should be able to claim her since they are supporting her.
  • edited January 2012
    He has a right to claim her, more than your parents do. And if they claim her, and he reports it to the IRS, they could get in deep doo-doo.
  • They CAN claim her. It would help them owe less taxes, if they pay any.. or get more back.
  • They are the head of the house. Its legal for them to claim her. They would be in no trouble. Technically my uncle could claim my daughter if he wanted to because i live in his house and he made more than i did. I also worked and am filing taxes and im claiming my daughter. But if he wanted to be an Ass he could claim her and i couldn't do shit about it.
  • @fate where are you getting your info? Her parents have the rights to before the babys dad if they reside in her parents home.
  • I lived with my mother for 8 months at one point and I didn't work so I had nothing to file. My mother claimed me as a dependent and my daughter for that year, I had to sign something saying she could for her tax guy to do it.
  • @Steph_Due_101611 That is untrue. Both parents must choose not to claim the baby in order for someone else to.

As the parent, the child is your qualifying child and as such is your dependent. If no parent of a qualifying child claims the child, and another individual is eligible to the treat the child as a qualifying child, that individual must have a higher AGI than the parent. AARP.com.

• You can let him claim her this year and when you file go ahead and claim her. If he still claims her when you are they will both go through and you will both get the money. Then when the irs starts checking them they will make him pay it back since she does not live with him most of the time.
  • I agree if u can't claim your baby then let him make sign a promisary note that he will the following year and he needs to give u a certain amount of money
  • @fate this is what my mom is telling me. This is what she does.
  • edited January 2012
    @Steph_Due_101611 Huh? Was that comment for someone else?

Last thing I saw was you saying it's a law. And asking where I got my info. Then I posted where I got the info from. Lol. Confused!

If you mean, that your mom said it's the law? It isn't. Also, the baby has not lived with the grandparents for half of the year. :) So it cannot apply for the scenario she is in, sadly.

Also, to the OP, I found more info but forgot to paste it here.

"The IRS does not allow for a single exemption to be “split” between the two parties in the same year. Parties who share physical custody of their children on an equal or almost equal basis will generally have an agreement as to handle the income tax exemption(s). If they cannot agree, the IRS will decide for them based on Adjusted Gross Income." <--Meaning, if you, yourself file (not your parents, because the 2.5 month old does not qualify as THEIR dependent, since your baby's qualifies as another taxpayer's [your husband] dependent), and your husband file at the same time (not online though, I am pretty sure if one of the child's parents file first, the second parent's filing will be rejected), the IRS will give the refund to the parent based on AGI. It also says that even if the husband doesn't file, the grandparents still might not be able to, as the child hasn't lived with them for over half of the year.

If you are a taxpayer, you can claim the baby. This is something that both of you need to discuss as adults until you get your divorce decree stating who can claim the child on whatever years. For this year, ask your husband why he feels like he should get the refund for the baby, since you are not living together, and someone else is taking care of both of you. Also, if you lived with him from January 1st until December 31st (along with other tests, such as your income) he may be able to claim you on his taxes.

The best thing to do would be to sit down and talk to to him about it. If he claims the child this year, the divorce decree (when you get it) will most likely put you as the next year's qualifying taxpayer. Taxes are difficult, you need a lawyer's advice, which you can get for free by calling ANY lawyer.

Sorry this is so long, I know it's frustrating when an ex tries to claim a child that should be claimed by the person taking care of the child. :( I hope he comes to his senses and signs the waiver for your parents.

• I just went through this last year.. and now I'm going through it again this year. Unless you have a court documents or written agreement the first person filing will be approved through e-file. You will then be forced to file by mail.

So what happens is.. The IRS will flag it and audit BOTH of you.. as they did and are doing us again.

I had to send in..
    Custody papers stating I have 85% custody.
    And
    Copy of the school registration that shows where they live
    And
    My lease that shows them on it.

This time the IRS is mailing me official papers stating that I have the right to file and always file unless custody and arrangements change.