Bumper pads?!?!

Who uses normal bumper pads? I have the Angelcare monitor so I feel it may be ok to use them because if anything happens the alarm will sound but it still makes me nervous. My Lo is 5.5 months old and she has started moving all over and when I got her up this morning there were red marks on her head from the wood post on her crib. My cousin has been telling me to use the bumper pads (she always has). I'm torn on this subject, I used them with my first child 4 years ago and people have used them forever. What is everyone else's opinions on this?

Comments

• I would just not use em. But, thats just my opinion. Always better to be safe than sorry....?
  • @mommyof3girls That's how I always felt about it too! It just broke my heart to see those red marks on her head, and I know a lot of people still use them.
  • I used em w my first. I didnt know they were dangerous.
  • @mommyof3girls I did also so much has changed in 4 years.
  • ive used them since we brought ayva home. shes almost 5 months and very mobile in the crib and still has bumpers and 2 crib pillows
  • @jazzi89 are they just the traditional bumper pads that come with the bedding sets? Callie just scoots herself everywhere and she had the red marks right by her soft spot and I don't want the wood to put pressure on her soft spot.
  • yep theyr the traditional bumpers
  • You can buy breatheable ones. I think they're mesh
  • I use them. It's crazy how things change so much from generation to generation as far as parenting & recommendations for babies
  • I use them, I used them with both and both kiddos are okay. They're just traditional ones that came with the crib set.
  • We use them His crib and bassinet both have them.
  • edited January 2012
    When I have my baby I won't. I dunno but sids can happen to any baby one using bumpers or not. But with the bumper pads it's the air circulation they are worried about so maybe if you have a fan running? I spouse they are worried with strangulation too when baby starts moving? The red marks will go away. It's just my opinion that I won't use them.
  • I know the dangers of them but i still ise them. i have a fan going and dont put blankets or anything in the crib with her and shes fine. *shrugs* jist my opinion so its up to u
  • I used them with my first but pushed them down half way between the mattress so only enough sticks up so the head didn't bang and the air flow was better. It worked great but im not using them with second they don't match his bedding but when he starts moving more Ill buy them if I need to.
  • I use a breathable bumper! Takes the worry away!
  • we use one in our son's crib, he's about 3.5 months old and has probably only slept a couple times without it in there, when he did we would find him with an arm or leg hanging out so we put it back in... he's a tummy sleeper and scoots around the crib.. i think everyone's opinion on them are different.. i have the monitor you have and he can pick his head up good so i dont worry so much..
  • Breathable bumpers come in cute patterns now and take the worry away! My kmart store even had some on clearance last week cheap! Supposedly the two risks are suffocation (not an issue if your baby is mobile) and air flow, so if you use the old ones, I would def keep a fan on (I do that anyway with either bumpers)
  • Thanks ladies, I think I will put them in
    tomorrow. Does anyone know about the fan? Will it make her room/her cold? @ready2bmommy sorry I cannot attach everyone it'd take me hours... Lol
  • @momma_erica I know right?!?! This is my second child and I feel more clueless now then I did as a ftm. There wasn't really a lot of precautions 4.5years ago, they just said don't let your baby eat lead Lmao
  • Its supposed to go clockwise in the winter which pushes air down the sides of the room rather than onto the center. Just keep it on low. If you have a stand fan rather than ceiling I would not have it blowing right at her crib, but near it so air just circulates. That shouldn't make her cold.
  • @ready2bmommy thank you... We have not put a ceiling fan in her room yet. So I guess I will maybe try a desk fan?