making my own baby food epic fail!!!

edited January 2012 in Food
So I thought I'd try to make my own baby food today attempted apricot and butter nut squash. I though people do it all the time. It took me all day and i'm not even sure it is the right consistent there was so much squash after I was done it will take months to go through and I don't know if the containers I bought are ok to freeze.and after I look it says that apricots don't freeze well. I would love to continue but i work full time and I didn't realize how hard it was gonna be. Are there any mom's here thatI work and make there own food. Any tips?

Comments

• Thanks for the bump @newmomma13
  • I do it! My advice is start off with easy things! The easiest so far are (for me) sweet potato, avacado and Apple. Also, if you really would like to do it, consider purchasing a good processor or baby bullet to puree the food.
    As for consistency, don't beat yourself up about it. It takes time to figure out the texture for your baby. To be on the safe side, use less water/formula/bm until you thaw it, that way you can add mire later.
  • :-( I don't work but I just give my baby any food I'm making for the day before I put spices or salt. It's easier for me like that. It's your first try don't give up I know you can freeze the food in ice trays freeze it POP out cubes then put it in freezer bags hopes it helps maybe on it days off you can cook up veggies and stuff and do it that way
  • I freeze all mine in trays then transfer to plastic bags!
  • Can you keep them frozen for however long you want?! My son is only 3 1/2 months but I'd like to start soon so I have a supply!
  • It can honestly be pretty easy, and not time consuming if you have the right tools. From peeling to putting in the freezer it probably takes me 10 minutes or so to make 8-14 servings! I'm not 100% sure how long they last, I feel like a safe number is at least a few weeks, although probably longer.
  • @natashalynn @whozdher. @stbmilitarybrat thank you had not thought about ice cube trays how do you do your applesauce do you cook apple first?I have a magic bullet just not sure i puree them well enough
  • You should buy a pressure cooker to cook your veggies faster and it is extremely healthy. I bet with pressure cooked food your puree would be perfect!
    http://www.amazon.com/Hawkins-Contura-Liters-Anodized-Pressure/dp/B002TG3TLK/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1326763848&sr=8-16
  • @zolabean thanks will look into getting. one if it will make it easier
  • I've never cooked apples sauce for her sorry I'm no help there. I just add water to her food or formula depending Om what I'm making. And how I think she can handle it but since she's older she likes chunky food
  • I used to cook extra veggies when cooking for us, then separate and freeze them in ice cube trays. I would then use different combinations for baby. As long as you don't add salt to your veg, this is really easy! When I used to cook our big Sunday dinner I would often do a cook up and puree then too for the week. I use a really great hand blender to puree my stuff
  • edited January 2012
    and apples.... just cook slowly in a saucepan and keep mashing them with your wooden spoon till they go all soft!
  • I steam my veggies and some fruit, like apples, then add some of the water to the puree to get the right consistency.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks @littlenat86 @natashalynn @homebirthadvocate. Hbv that's what i'm talking about will have to try that when I went to the store I couldn't find avocado are they in season? Maybe i'll have to go to sprout and see if I can find them there
  • Avacado is the easiest to make! Plus it has so many good things in it!! Even if they only get a few mouthfuls, they're getting lots of nutrients!
  • edited January 2012
    @natashalynn I heard avocado are great but having a really hard time finding the them. @ta2edblondie thank you I would love somes recipes Xavier hates the sweet peas baby food from the store but maybe he will like them better fresh he loved the squash and the apricot and love the idea of doing it fresh so I know that there are no additives or perseveres in the food.
  • I've made avacado, banana, spaghetti squash, carrots, potato, sweet potato, apples, and they've gone over pretty well. I should try zucchini tho!
  • @ta2edblondie he'll be 6 months on i saterday the i'll definitely try that over the weekend i'll let you know how it goes over
    @natashalynn i've giving them all to him just haven't made them all myself there are alot of things I have to mix together cause he won't eat them alone. Like I mix sweetpeas with a fruit cause if I don't he spits them at me
  • Don't give up on one at a time. My daughter hated bananas at first, so we stopped after a few bites tried again later and it was a few more bites, then another break from them. Today she ate 1.5 ice cubes of them! But I get about the mixing. I put formula in most of her stuff to give it some familiar creaminess.
  • @natashalynn I should post the pic of him with the sweetpeas there everwhere but it has been a couple of weeks maybe I should try again they say that babies taste changes.
  • Haha I've been taking pictures with each new food. It's so funny!! Ya I'd give them a try again. Even if its something my daughter likes, her first bite always gets a face made at it. Lol I think its just her "unexpected" face.
  • @natashalynn @homebirthadvocate I found avocado are once I make them do they freeze ok or are they one of those foods I should just make enough for one meal.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks @homebirthadvocate I was told not to let it sit in fridge cause it turns brown so I wasn't sure if it would still be good if I froze it.