pp period

edited January 2012 in Postpartum Health
How long after giving birth did your periods become regular (as in timing of your cycle)? And are you bfing or formula? I'm currently bfing and I had my first period at 6 weeks pp. I've always been regular 28 day cycle but my second period hasn't started yet...is it normal for it to be irregular after giving birth? I know while bfing you might not get a period but I already had one so I'm assuming I'm not one of the lucky ones.

Comments

• I'm ebf and I am 8 weeks pp and just started spotting a little today and a lil crampy feeling. My last baby who is 2 now, I ebf him for a year and never got any period or spotting until 9 months pp...so I don't know if I'm about to start a period or not :/ I hope not!
  • @jnlelrod I exclusively bfed for 14 months with my son and never had my period bc I was on the shot. I'm not on the shot this time around so not sure what to expect.
  • @redhead25 Yea I'm not on anything b/c hubby is getting fixed soon ;) yea maybe the shot had something to do with it. I know some women ebf and get a period every month and some not but it's more likely to not get one until around 9 months pp from what I have read. I'm hoping I'm just getting a little spotting that will go away soon!
  • I Breastfed my daughter for about 2 months before my milk dried up.
    I stopped bleeding at 3 weeks PP and then my period was July 24th-27th and then I missed my next period because I was pregnant. BUT I used the period that I had gotten as a timeline for how far along I was with this current pregnancy and my Ultrasound Tech confirmed I was dead on, so I assume they would have come regularly from then on. :)
  • @jnlelrod my ob told me that while bfing you can have spotting up to 10 weeks. But the bleeding I had at 6 weeks wasn't spotting or old blood or anything. It was a full blown period. I wasn't bleeding before it and I bled bright red heavy for 4 days straight which was how long my periods were before and haven't bled since. So I'm assuming it was a period. Have you read anything about getting a period once and then nothing while bfing?
  • @fulltimemommy oh god...that's what I'm worried about which is why I'm asking if its usually regular after or not. I don't want to be stupid and test if its natural for it to be irregular.
  • edited January 2012
    I forgot to mention that I had my Daughter in May so I had no period after my bleeding until them, So while I was BF.

I think it honestly depends on the woman. If a baby is not something you really want right now because yours is so young then just use some protection, if it is... a pregnancy right away is totally possible. We wanted to try for our boy and get children over and done with. If we have another girl, it will be a huge blessing and i get to reuse my daughters things and we can try again in a few years.
    My gap depending on if I'm early (again) on time or late is 11 Months apart - 11 and a Half Months apart - and then - 12 Months apart
  • @fulltimemommy I had hormone issues and wasn't ovulating for a year and a half before I got preggo (i used clomid to get preggo). So its been years since we've had to worry about bc. And it had been 3 months since we had sex and bf finally had a wild hair up his ass and wanted it and it never occurred to me till he pulled out that we forgot about bc. Definitely don't want to be preggo...she'll be 10 weeks tomorrow.
  • @fulltimemommy I hope you get ur boy. I have a boy from a previous relationship and just had a girl and I would love to be done but bf wants his boy (even though he's raising my son as his own and plans to adopt him once we get married) so he has one more shot to get him. When do u find out the sex?
  • @redhead25 I tried to find out at my 20 week appointment (They won't check here until you are at least 20 weeks) but the baby was in a bad position. I'm 25 weeks 4 day's now and I go in for another Ultrasound on the 31st of this month. The gender request has been sent in, so cross my fingers the baby will show itself. I'm not a surprise kind of person lol!
    I think I'm going to sneak in a juice box right before I go in, too give the baby a little sugar LOL maybe that will get it moving :P