My Birth Story :)

edited January 2012 in Giving birth
I suppose I should start with the day before I gave birth to my daughter...

Friday, January 13th: I was feeling cramps & pressure, so I went to L&D (on my due date) to at least get checked since I had been stuck at a 2 thanks to scar tissue that was wrapped around my cervix like a rubber band. I had my membranes stripped the day before (Thursday) and I was spotting a fair amount. L&D called me a 2 and sent me home...boo.

Saturday, January 14th: I couldn't sleep at all and was awake until around 6/630. Around 930 I woke up to a lot of lower back pain and cramps so I got in the shower thinking my back was just sore and if I could ease the pain, I could go back to sleep...that's a negative. lol The pain became worse over the next hour and I woke hubby telling him he should get in the shower because it might be time. Eventually, I tried to relax in bed which only increased the pain and brought me to tears a few times. So...off we went to L&D.

My contractions were showing up in as they triaged me, but I was still at a 2 and she had a few decels. The doc did a quick fluid check and discovered that she had less than 5cms so they were going to admit me and start pitocin to speed labor along because there was no benefit in me staying pregnant any longer. These were amazing and terrifying words as she was actually going to be here. They got me moved into a room (huge by the way) and started an iv. I was allowed to contract on my own for a while before they started the pitocin, but once that pitocin started working, I became uncomfortable. I was breathing through my contractions for a few hours before I finally asked for an epi because the back labor was getting to be too much.

As soon as my epi was in, they checked me and I was at a 6/7. YAY ME!!! No wonder I was so uncomfortable, the scar tissue around my cervix would have been ripping apart. The doctor said he didn't think I would deliver before midnight, it was around 930 or 10 at this time. At some point, baby didn't like the contractions so I ended up with oxygen and flipping from side to side. About 30-45 mins later, I was feeling pressure so the nurse checked me and was shocked to discover that I was complete. They let me do a few practice pushes and she moved on down into the birth canal. They paged for the first available doctor and in comes 2 docs in a hurry fresh off another delivery. They got set up and said I could push as soon as I felt a contraction (I could feel them so it was beneficial). On comes a contraction and I bared down like no ones business! I pushed maybe 6 times through one contraction and she was finally here. :) Only 44 minutes had passed from the time I was called complete to her first cry. It was so amazing!

Aside from clots & bleeding, I felt great, no tears and no more swelling after the first 24 hours.

Miss Addison Irie Alexander was born on January 14th, 2012 at 1104pm weighing 7lbs 13oz and was 19 3/4" long. She latches on like a champ (most of the time) and loves her daddy. We are truly blessed to have her.

Comments