Breaking babys of their bottles..

edited January 2012 in Ages & Stages
So jace is almost 6 months and I started giving him a soft nippled sippy cup and my goal is to have him totally off the bottle by 10 months.. Just wondering when everyone was planning on breaking their lil ones from the bottle? And if anyone may have any tips on bottle breaking.. Please and thank you!!

Comments

• His 1st birthday, bottles and Paci's will be gone.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My first was off the bottle around 9-10 months. I started a soft sippy around 5 months. I don't have any tips. If your lo is used to the sippy. It shouldn't be hard.
  • I read at 6 months you can introduce the stage one cup I'm definitely doing so I hope it works if not definitely before his birthday
  • My son was 15 months. I wasn't too worried about it, he liked ice cold milk for breakfast and an hour b4 bed. I just started putting his milk in his sippy cup... He now wont drink milk but loves water
  • With my 1st when he started drinking juices & other stuff besides formula (about 6 months I think) I started the sippy cup. We never gave him anything in a bottle except formula so at about 12 months he pretty much weined himself. That's been 10yrs ago but I plan to do the same this time around cause it worked for me before
  • My son was completely off the bottle by 7months but that gosh darn pacifier stuck with him til 2.5yrs
  • I just found a sippy he liked and replaced the bottles. He put up no fit no fight. We had started the sippy around 5months.
  • When u guys say that u started the sippy at 5 months, was that with them holding it? Do the sippies u have have handles? My lo holds her bottle at the last 2 ounces cuz anything more than that is too heavy lol. ive neve seen a bottle with handles tho
    @Steph_Due_101611 @preggointx
  • I found standard size rings with handles for bottles at a dollar store. But at 5months he had a sippy with handles. It took a few different cups till i found what he liked. It turned out to be the wagi brand from walgreens and had no handles. At 7months we packed away the bottles and made markings on the sippy for measurement since they were see through.
    @amb2486
  • I agree w @HomeBirthAdvocate cold turkey is easies in the long run w bottles and pacifiers.
  • completely embarrassed to admit but I was still drinking from my baby bottles till i was in the 4th grade lol. My mom kept making my Milo in them every morning and I never complained... hopefully ill have this lil one off the bottle by no later than 1yo.
  • We went cold turkey at 14 months (would have been 12 but my son ended up very poorly so had them for a little longer) with bottles and then with his dummies at 22 months
  • Omg my son was sick when he was 2.5yrs old and we went to the hospital. He was dehydrated and they wanted him to drink. They gave him a bottle. He looked at it and laughed. He told them he didn't want it. I went off on them.
  • I'm going to start stage one cups next month my son holds his bottle the entire feeding
  • thanks everyone (even tho it was not my post :) ) I found 8 oz sippies at walmart that have handles and come with both a bottle nipple and sippy nipple. made by nuby and only 4.97!
  • ohh and so far she is doing very well
  • @amb2486 we just got those too! Love them
  • If its not formula she gets it in a sippy. She get two 6oz sippys with formula a day then the rest of her formula goes in a bottle. So far its working but she only likes the nuk sippys.