PCOS and miscarriage???

edited January 2012 in Getting pregnant
So I was diagnosed w PCOS last year. I knew it would be difficult to get preggo... Well with the help of clomid, we got preggo in November. I miscarried beginning of January. The doc wouldn't do any testing, just said "it happens". Well I started researching on my own... From what I found, women with PCOS have a 45% miscarriage rate. Now, I've read that doctors are prescribing Metformin for women with PCOS. Some studies say that with Metformin, chances of miscarriage go down from 45% to 9%. Does anyone else have experience with this??? Anyone taken Metformin or something else like progesterone to prevent another miscarriage??

Comments

• I got a new doctor because of the way the other doc treated my miscarriage. So I would like to go as prepared as possible to the new appointment... Armed with as much info as possible. Hopefully I can get preggo again and manage to keep the next one...
  • @RedShadoe0 I don't have any experience with PCOS because I don't have it, but I know I wouldn't stick with ANY healthcare provider who didn't listen to my concerns. My OB is amazing and pretty much listens to everything I ask. I had 2 MC last year, and we made a game plan together for my next pregnancy, including progesterone suppositories. She said there isn't much of a way to tell if it is helping, but it can't hurt, so why not. And I'll be getting the progesterone shots starting at 16 weeks as well since I have a history of preterm labor. Anyway, good luck. I'm ttc again starting this cycle after my D/C in Oct, so we'll be on the journey together. Fingers crossed for you, hon!!
  • I was given the "it happens" speech too. They usually don't look into it until there are 2-3 miscarriages unfortunately. I was upset too. Then I did research and found about 20% of pregnancies end in miscarriages. I don't know about PCOS but if the meds drop the rate lower without any side effects sound good.
  • Like I said, I'm determined to prevent another issue :(
  • @rtmommy and @crisjo
    I'll be starting over this cycle as well... Crossing my fingers for both of us! Halloween baby hopefully!!! Praypraypray.
  • I have PCOS. I had 2 successful pregnancies w/o meformin, 1 loss and 1 successfull (so far, I'm 20 weeks) pregnancy with it. Idk if the metformin had anything to do with this or not, but this pregnancy has been the easiest, no complications, no scares, nothing! My first 2 were rollercoster emotions.... almost lost both of them several times.
  • @mom2bee0612 you did or didn't take Metformin?
  • edited January 2012
    I have pcos and I have been prego 4 times 2 live births. I did not take metformin I actually took baby asprin because it was like the baby won't stick like my blood was to thick I don't know but I do know the baby asprin up till I was 6 months along worked well. After 6 months OB said to stop so my blood was thin for birth.
  • My doctor tried that with me as well .. he told me to miscarry naturally I demanded to havr a DC&E and wanted it tested .. thank god I did I had a molar pregnancy and had cancer in my uterus.. and never went back to him! As far as pcos I work on an gyno floor in the hospital I have seen many people who had a D&c were put on metformin and got pregnant right away with no issues ... good luck !
  • @mylittleman2011 and @mostephanite thank you for the input!! AF is due next week and that's when I go see the doc again. Hopefully i can get her to be proactive...