stay at home

edited February 2012 in Parenting
I am thinking of quitting my job to stay at home. Anyone else do this? Any advice, tips?

Comments

• Its great.. for a while... But great for baby ! I go insane not having normal convos
  • With adults
  • I have been a sahm for 2.5yrs and love it... Yeah money is tight at times and extra money from me working would help, but seeing my babies grow is a far bigger payoff than all the money in the world
  • I have being a stay at home mom for little over 3 years.. that's including most of my pregnancy.. and sometimes it gets nerve wrecking but seeing my kids grow and making sure that they are safe is the best thing in the world
  • I am a teacher and I think I will be able to tutor 10 hours a week. If I can get enough students then I will make half what I am making now, get to stay home with my little one all day and only work ten hours each week. Does anyone have any money saving tips?
  • I wish I could quit by job and stay home. :( I miss my baby so much and he is growing to quickly. I am missing out on a lot. As for money saving tricks try couponing?
  • Coupon and watch sales.. I save so much money doing that.. I've gotten a the big tub of similar (regular 22.50) for 15 bucks, big box of Pampers for 13.. meat for half price... I can tell a huge difference when I get good deals on big ticket items and when they're not on sale. Its the difference between having money at the end of the week, and having to "borrow" from the next week's check.
  • @mom2ing I have been teaching ten years, so I have the house and car I want but I could always have more on savings :) The question is what is a good amount. I will have amount two months of all our bills saved before I quit.
  • If your a teacher why don't you finish the school year, stay home the summer and if you like it and aren't struggling then stay home and if you are getting stir crazy then go back in the fall?
  • i thought about it , i havent yet made that decision. but then again im 18 i really dont have a choice and i have a very nice paying job to take care of my child . if your in a stable relationship , then yes you should def do it ! wish i was .
  • @My2Boys I am going to finish the school year but I get paid during the summer. They pay us a salary and instead of paying us all of it during the year they make it so it goes throughout the summer too so that wouldn't be a good indicator but I like the way you think. =) I can take a non-paid leave up until my child is two. So I think that is what I am going to do next year and if I don't like it I would go back. I was going to wait one more year, get pregnant again this summer and take two years off with the next. The only problem is I don't think I want to do it another year. I would missing all that time with my first. Plus, right now I can leave on time but when the school year starts back I will have more paper work and conferences. Most days I will not be able to leave until five. That means I will be away from my baby 11 hours a day and only see her about two hours each night before she goes to bed. =( I think I have made up my mind. I know it would be better financially but I don't know if the extra money would be really worth it in the long run. I guess it is a personal decision but I wanted to hear what other people think. I also wanted to hear their experiences and tips to make it work.
  • @momaynot I have stayed home for about 3 years I have a 4 yr old and 6 month old, I miss out on a lot of adult interaction and most of the time when my hubby gets home he is exhausted and all I want is an adult conversation. If you do decide to stay home make sure you still make time for you. I see all of my friends go to work and their children go to day care most of them get plenty of "me time" and I get none. I absolutely love being able to experience everything my children do with them but from experience I know going to work everyday is much less stressful and each rewarding in different ways. I'm sure if you haven't already talked with your hubby about this you will soon and make sure you both cone to an understanding of what is expected of each of you. When my husband and I had this talk there were a lot if grey areas when the conversation ended which is causing problems in our marriage. My husband has got to the point of doing nothing in home life because "I don't work". You need to stress staying home is not you laying around being lazy and a lot goes on behind closed doors, get a list of expectations and find what works for you and your family. Gd luck staying home is a true blessing!