what should a typical 4 month old be doing?

edited February 2012 in Ages & Stages
?

Comments

• I dont think there is a "typical" 4 month old. Probably laughing, sleeping thru the night, able to hold head up well, and cooing. Both my kids were doing those things at that age, but other things differed. My son developed faster than my daughter. My son was a supported sitter at 4 months but my daughter wasn't even close, she started thay about 5.5 months. My son was also rolling over at 4 months, but not her, she didnt start until 5.
  • Oh, she barely started reaching for objects about 4 months. So far, the only thing she does that my son didnt is talk and sign.
  • It's so hard to tell at this early stage a true delay but depending on where you live you can have a developmental screening done if you think your child is delayed. I live in CA and we have a place called Regional Center in each county that can help with early childhood delays. They do complete assessment and provide serves to help your child "catch up" if a delay is found.

I work with foster children and we have all of our children sent for dev screenings b4 they can be adopted. If you lived in Orange county, CA i could tell you where the next free screening was, but i think i remember that u r not in the usa.
  • Is it normal for them to be totally uninterested in eye contact sometimes? she does make eye contact and coo, but sometimes we try to get her attention but she wants nothing to do with us!
  • i would say normal. my daughter is 13 weeks but she does the exact same, sometimes shes really engaged,and looks directly at us and others it dont matter what you do, she just will not lock on eyes with us but stares somewhere off behind us.
  • @Joshneviesmum thanks that makes me feel a bit better. I can't help but worry though especially with my son (he has aspergers) and I think its around this age that I started noticing something was off but I'm not completely sure. she also just had her shots the other day.... maybe she's still feeling under the weather a bit? I just noticed she was happier before the shots. now I regret getting them. I should have followed my instincts!
  • The shots are not going to affect her development, my son is also 13 weeks and does the same thing. The shots can make her sleepy though.
  • I notice now she's not laughing as much anymore. and when you try to get. her to smile she sort of does but turns away like she's shy
  • You're going to worry yourself sick. I would suggest speaking with her doc and ask what they think. Personally, I think youre over reacting and you just need to take a deep breath and stop stressing. My daughter, and a lot of other babies, are/were the same way and are fine! Breathe momma...breathe!
  • I try not to worry... but its hard when I see my son and his difficulties every day. and the fact that I can barely get her to make eye contact with me the last day or so and she hasn't laughed AT ALL in this time also. it sucks that her doc appt was a week ago but these concerns are coming up afterwards. I lost my insurance so I will see how much they charge for a visit... otherwise I wait til we figure out what insurance we can afford. @NatashaLynn do you have insurance? private or gov? msg me if you don't want to say here. I ask you cuz I know you're in Canada too :)
  • Hey that's cool that you remembered. I only have coverage thru my boyfriends work plan, since were common law (in Alberta you just need to be living together for 6 months) and through health care. I used to have blue cross which was awesome. They're really good!
    I would try talking to your regular Dr, hey its free!, and go from there. I'm not sure about the eye contact But my daughter, who's 7 months almost 8, is hard to get to laugh or smile.
  • II'm not sure what province you're in, but in Alberta there's a number you can call to ask any health related question.
  • I'm in bc @NatashaLynn
    my fiance is *sort of covered at work. he gets up to 1000 a year but we have to pay upfront and get reimbursed later. I'm kind of in a panic about that too cuz I don't know if early childhood development programs are payed for by the gov or what. I was covered for everything with my son cuz I was on assistance and just got off in Oct.
  • Honestly I'd call the govt. They can tell you for sure what's covered by what, and go from there looking at private insurance if need be. At least you'll know what you're dealing with. Keep me updated.
  • They just cut off my insurance like a week or two ago. don't know exactly when but I went to get bc pills and had to pay last week
  • @2ndbutfirst he's the same age as Sophia right? did he get his shots? honestly I know its very unlikely to be related to shots but just since she got them she
    doesn't smile or make much eye contact anymore and I haven't been able to get her to laugh even with tickles.
    @NatashaLynn seeing the Dr is free you said?
  • She used to smile at everything. now my son can't even get her to! I just want my smiley happy girl back :(
  • Ya just going to a regular family Dr is. All family drs are govt paid and regulated. Also, you can go to a family health services for bc for cheap or even free if you need help. Look them up!
  • Awesome thanks @natashalynn
    I feel a LITTLE bit better right now. I decided to have a shower and took her in the bathroom in her bouncy chair. Tried playing peek a boo with her and she was all smiles and even giggled a tiny bit. Still concerned, but for now I will relax until I can get into the dr
  • Try not to sweat it. Shell pick up on your stress and be even less likely to be giggly and sweet, ya know? I know that's far easier said then done of course. Where in bc are you?
  • I know last night I was so stressed about it and she was getting so upset and started crying so much and nothing I did would calm her. then her dad took her and she stopped almost instantly lol. I'm on Vancouver island @NatashaLynn
  • Make sure you're looking after yourself. Happy mom makes a happy baby as well as vice versa. Make sure you make some YOU time during the week.
    And definitely look for a family health clinic. They're really awesome. They have all info and numbers you'll need to get answers!
  • My son is 8 months and some times he won't look at us he is so interested in looking at other things and starring we have to yell or make a loud noise our daughter did that too and she is fine she is almost 3
  • @Debs thanks it does make me feel better when I read about others kids that do the same things :)
  • @2ndbutfirst I truly wish I could go back in time and not get her 2nd round done. We will not be doing her 6 month shots. And just see how we feel from there.
  • My son turned 4my months old on january 30th and he doesn't really reach for things. And he just did get pretty good at rolling over