Why is he doing this?

edited February 2012 in Breastfeeding
I'm ebf my son, he's taken to it like a champ except the past few nights I've really struggled to get him to latch on properly, he will not open his mouth very wide which leads to it being really painful so I have to take him off, then he's upset & this goes on & on. I just don't get it, he's still feeding & latching on brilliant during the day so why won't he do the same at night?

Comments

• My daughter does that during the day I have No idea Why
  • Maybe he's not awake enough when he latches on.
  • @willothewisp I would guess he is tired and being lazy at the breast. Addy does that at night and it's harder on me being half asleep and trying to correct her latch. Try nursing him when he starts to stir, but before he starts getting fussy. Addy gets overly excited if I undo her latch too many times and tosses her head back and forth trying to relatch. I give us a moment to relax before putting her back on. Goodluck!
  • Thanks for the replies & thanks for the tips @misskristin I really hope this gets better soon as don't know how much more abuse my nipples can take
  • Exactly a lazy nurser. My LO did that. Instead of opening her mouth she would like slurp in my nipple which ALWAYS RESULTED to a bad latch. Since I let her get away with it I had to reteach her.
  • @YNVTish how did you manage to reteach her? I know I'm letting mine get away with it at night as well as too tired & he gets so frustrated & upset so after quite a few failed attempts to get him to latch properly I end up just putting up with the pain, stupid mistake I know
  • @willothewisp ... It was easy! All I did was let her latch on. If it wasn't correct I would stick my finger in the side of her mouth to break the latch and then rub my nipple against her mouth and not let her latch on until she opened it wide and then I'd shove it as far in as I can get it

She actually seem to notice the difference in latching because she was able to suck easier and seem to be more at ease.
  • @YNVTish that's what I've been trying to do but he won't have it, on the rare occasion I get him to latch on well within a few mins he's managed to pull his head back & we're back to square one. It's just frustrating me as we don't have any issues during the day now
  • edited February 2012
    At first with my son I had to turn on a little light so we both could see. I kept the bathroom light on with door cracked for about 6 weeks till we had a pretty good routine going.
  • My son started doing that. He hasn't stopped and he's 7 months old now. Doesn't hurt at all though so even though he slurps it in, he still has a correct latch somehow.
  • @lilbit01_209 I always have a night light on or I've no chance at all :)

@captivated I'm not concerned about how much he's getting as sure its plenty going by his weight gain & my milk pours out - we're both covered in it whenever try to get him to relatch :)