Therapist or physcologist?

edited February 2012 in Postpartum Health
I need a professional to talk to. I want my marriage to work but for some reason I can't. Hubby isn't doing anything wrong, it's all me. I've been to a physcologist (sp) and she always said "and?" or "how does that make you feel" and i dont want that. I want a 2 sided conversation and help with how to handle my bad moods. Will a therapist do that? And also i eventually want it to turn into couples counciling. Who should I contact? A counsler? Therapist? Or a physcologist?

Comments

• Or physciatrist? (sp?) idk if there's a difference
  • I've always tried counslers first... If that doesn't help maybe you need meds to help with the moods? Ive had successs with counselors though, as long as its a good one. She would always as questions that would make me THINK about what was going on. It helped usually...
  • @redshadoe0 i know i need stronger depression medication, could a counseler help with that?
  • You have to find the right psychologist for you. They aren't all the same. Will your husband go for couples counseling? Psychiatrists prescribe meds.
  • no, a psychiatrist has to write the new prescription. Talk to your primary doc about that and see who he refers you to... maybe he knows a counselor or therapist to talk to!
  • @crisjoe he will, i want to go by myself first though
    @redshadoe0 i dont have a primary doctor :/ looks like a psychatrist is my choice
  • Most psychiatrist do not provide therapy, they only prescribe medication. Some offices provide both a psychiatrist and psychologist in the same office, which is helpful because they can consult with eachother & can access case notes.

Try another therapist, you might need a therapist with a different style of therapy. Good luck i hope you get the help you need.

• Before I divorced my first husband, I went to a psychologist as did he and we went one day together to the same psychologist. Made my divorce decision a lot easier.
  • edited February 2012
    I do therapy for depression and just different things my hubby was going to on separate days she has talked about having sessions together when the time is ready