Introducing cows milk

I'm not a FTM, so I should know the answer to this question, but my son was put on whole milk and Pediasure at 9 months for failure to thrive reasons, so i'm not sure when to start introducing cows milk in small quantities to my daughter.

She is nearly 10 months and hasn't had any reactions to anything so far, so i'm wondering if I should try some when she eats table food, like an ounce or so. She's not a huge fan of juice, and honestly isn't a fan of sippy cups all together...she's my stubborn sally haha.

Of course, I'll be consulting with her doctor on Monday to make an educated decision, and i'm well aware all baby needs is formula/breast milk, but i'm curious as to what age y'all introduced it, and your thoughts about it.

Comments

• Wic told me at 11 months to start putn have formula half whole milk in her bottle/cup to get her use to it .
  • Oh okay, that seems like a good transition. I can't believe she's almost a year old! :-S
  • edited February 2012
    Well with my first I went cold turkey.. I replaced formula completely with cows milk at the age of 1 and on a zippy cup, she loved it. I am one of those lucky people, all babies are different. Give here some milk and see how she reacts to it.
  • edited February 2012
    My nutrition professor said that they should absolutely not get it till a year cause it can cause intestinal bleeding and alot if other stuff if given too early
  • It shouldn't be done before a year according to the American Pediatric Association.

When my daughter turned one, I stopped formula and bottles and gave her milk in a sippy cup. I had no issues. :)
  • We did it for my oldest son at 1 year old, right after his birthday we stopped formula and bottles and gave him milk in a sippie sup. He did not mind, but that was 3 years ago... not sure what has changed yet, my youngest is only going to be 6 months so he is still on formula.