I'm exhausted and don't know what to do....

edited February 2012 in Sleep
Maddox just turned 4 months old yesterday...he was sleeping through the night. About 3 weeks ago he started waking up once at 2-3am and then again at 5am to eat. Ok...I thought maybe it was a growth spurt. Now he is getting up around midnight, 2 am, 4 am, and a screaming fit around 6 am. He usually wants to nurse but sometimes just wants to cuddle. I am totally fine with giving him what he needs. But, I am so tired I feel sick. Along with Maddox I have 3 other kiddos ages soon to be 13, 10, and almost 8, plus a husband who needs attention, a home daycare, and all of my housework. What do I do to help him get a better nights sleep? He does sleep quite a bit through the day, but then is up alot through the evening. He usually takes his bath with nighttime bath stuff, massage, nurses, and then bed at around 10pm. He goes for his 4mo check up on Tuesday, so I will ask the doctor then...but I don't know if I can make it another night without some sleep. Help me mama's!!!

**couple of things...he sleeps in his crib which is in our room, I don't believe in crying it out, and I EBF. Getting ready to go to church so it might be a while before I can respond back:-( Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• Try keeping him more awake during the day even though he is tired. Will be cranky but might pay off at night.
  • @mommyo4 my daughter turned 4 mos. on Saturday as well, and she's starting to be more fussy too. I was also thinking maybe a growth spurt or possibly teething. I really don't have any suggestions except to say I'm going through the same thing. Hopefully someone has some suggestions.
  • My girly started wAking up at night when she turned 4 minths. Its calmed down but she still wakes at 2 am to eat... no matter how long i keep her up in the day or how much i feed her... for a few days she was doing every 2 hrs. Still havent figured out how to fix it
  • And shes almost 7months ... i thought it was a growth spurt as welll
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Nooo you want to encourage good healhty naps which are an hour or longer.
    Babies go through a sleep regression around four months.
    Try the 90 minute nap routine durring the day. Awake for 90 minutes, nap an hour, awake for 90 minutes sleep an hour. Babies can become so exhausted that they can't sleep and fight naps and bed time.
    My los scheduel goes like this.
    Awake at 9am, nap at 11am, awake at a 12pm, nap at 2pm, awake at 3pm, nap at 5pm, awake at 6pm, get ready for bed at 8pm.
    He sleeps at night from 8:30pm/9pm to 4am, awake for a quick feeding, sleeps till 7 for another feeding, sleeps till 9am.
  • Thank you everyone! He is teething so I kbow thats part of it, but I just need a few extra minutes of sleep per night. I want him to be healthy and happy! I am going to ask his ped on Tues about cereal with my milk from a spoon.
    @littlefae that is similar to what his schedule was like...different times though. Then he started wanting more sleep through the day and staying awake in the evenings. I will work on getting him back to the old schedule and see if it helps.v
  • Sorry for the typos...I was getting lots of help from Maddox:)
  • lol typos should be expected on this site since I imagine most of us are juggling little ones some of the time. :-D
    Look into sleep regression and how you can fix it. Its common for four month olds to go through it, my lo did but it only took me a week to get him back. Downfall ... he's now sharing the bed with me but we at least get sleep lol
    Good luck and I hope he goes back to his normal schedule soon!
  • @littlefae I have even put him in bed with me...but that doesn't always work. He just fusses or wants to nurse. He is usually the most easy going little guy, so I am hoping to figure out what exactly is causing this. I don't remember it with my older 3...of course that was eons ago, so that could be why. Thanks for your advice and well wishes. I am totally hoping that we can get something figured out. [-O<