After birth

edited February 2011 in Giving birth
So I kind of know what to expect but not...I know you have like your period or whatever for two or more months n its like the worst period n bleeding ever. I also heard the first bowel movement is so painful. I was told to buy underwear to throw away n the biggest thickest most heavy duty pads I can find...what else should I know/expect after having my baby

Comments

• the bleeding after birth shouldn't last 2 months I would think 2 weeks max the first bowel movement wasnt painful for me but I also waited 2 weeks cause I was so scarred
  • If you get stitches and it stings too pee, either fold a sanitry towel in half and place it over them when you pee, or sounds horrible but it helps, wee just before you get out of the bath or run the water down there when your peein. Thats what ive been told. X
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • my cycle after birth usually is a couple of days longer than usual, and a lil heavier, with more clotting, pain not to bad eithier if you take meds for it bfore it gets outta hand,
  • Ya use stool softeners those will help. Don't hold it in cuz it will make it worse when u do go. My OB mentioned getting adult diapers (i know unattractive) for the heavy bleeding after delivery. But they will help u from ruining undies and bed sheets :)
  • Wow I had no idea thanks for the info!
  • My bleeding only lasted 2 weeks and I wore my normal pads I always wore...changing them a lil more often.
  • My doc has this foam stuff you put on your pad for the stiches that stuff is amazing keeps them from itching and has a cooling effect to it.
  • Thanks for the info I'm 21 so not a whole lot of my friends have had children to ask them..n I figured I probably wasn't the only one who was wondering...I think maybe I will get some adult diapers for bed time. My boyfriend will have a heyday with that lol
  • @ARand89 i a have bleed w all 3 of mine for 4 - 6 wks. Your first isn't to bad on cramping unless u have a low pain tolerance. And both the hospitals that i delivered at usually try and get u to have a bowel movement w in the 1st 24 to 36 hrs after delivery. That way they can make sure that u r okay as well. @ the hospital they should have everything u need anything u don't use there take home w u.
  • yeah I had bleefing 4-6 weeks aswell but it was only really heavy marve first week or 2, I went through all 10 pairs of undies n I ws onlyin hospital over night, hopefully I'm in n out in 4hrs this time as long as ever3thing runs smoothly :) goodluck
  • I think I will get the adult diapers also,jus to keep safe nd to keep my boyfriend from a panic attack.lol :*
  • The hospital will give you a peri-bottle, fill it with warm water, squirt it on your vagina as you pee, it'll help a lot. After you use the bathroom, spray Dermaplast on yourself. It cleans any bacteria (like peroxide would do) plus has lidocaine to numb. Its the most life saving product for recovery, this is my 5th child, I lived off Dermaplast with all my kids. Although, afterbirth pains are awful, get worse with each child as your uterus contracts back to normal size. Ouch!
  • after birth pains suck thabkfully u dont get them first time round for all u first time mums
  • I think I bled for about 4 weeks after. They gave me stool softener and a squirt bottle so it didn't burn the stitches when I peed. @abby5 I also had the foam. It worked great. I just bought bog pads. Adult diapers might be uncomfortable.
  • Wow...I hope u dnt get stiches...it doesn't sound good
  • Do they knock you out before they give you stitches? They seem painful ;(
  • i only bled for about a week after with my first and i had no probs going to the bathroom either...so i guess it just depends on ur body...the worst was having cramps and contractions while breastfeeding, and that just felt like mild cramps....
  • @clope18 no, they will give you local numbing injections around the area that needs stitched, then they get to sewing. It isn't too bad, plus if you're going natural all the pain from labor will make it feel like nothing. If you get an epidural you'll still be somewhat numb anyway, so either way, it'll be the furthest from your mind.
  • This is my first too, and the thought of stitches down there totally freaks me out!! Do you always have to get stitches?
  • I only bled heavy for about a week and just light spotting for the next 2-3
  • You only get stitches if you tear.And I think they disolve in a couple wks.
  • @surpriseBaby I've had two kids and didn't have to have stitches with either. I think i just depends on how stretchy your skin is lol.
  • If you get stitches I recommend putting a tucks pad directly on the and leaving it for a couple of hours. They have a natural pain reliever in them and the work great.
  • I used tucks pads also. I think they're made with witchazel. They helped with the itch of healing.
  • What r tucks pads?
  • @babyboyontheway they're for hemorrhoids. They also clean and sooth after your stitched. You can use them for different things.
  • Avoid bumpy rides lol my mom hit a bump and I wanted to kill her... I got stitchs and getting up and down was a night mare and I always sat on pillows. They gave me a numbing spray at the hospital and take stool softeners. I bled maybe a month and a half and thick chunks would come out. Not pretty. I wish someone had warned me. I alway heard horror stories about labor but never everhad a warning about after labor lol. I was shocked. In fact I had a super easy labor. Numbing spray will be your best friend.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.