Brat Child

edited March 2012 in Parenting
My 5 year old stepdaughter is a brat! She doesn't listen unless you yell at her or threaten to take her leap pad away...I had to talk to her about the little boy who cried wolf because she is becoming a big liar...she tries to play her mom and dad "mommy said I should stay at grandma so she can pick me up there" lie! Says things like "if you don't let me I'm going to break my leap pad so you have to buy me a new one" um sorry little girl you got shit fucked up you think I will ever buy you anything nice again! We really don't know what to do with her anymore she is a total brat child

Comments

• Sounds kinda like my son! we actually printed out the book boy who cried wolf just the other day. he read it and I have actually had to reference it since then and he was like ohh yeah.... and stopped lying
  • Thank goodness I don't have to deal with a brat...I do joke around and call my kids brats but I just joke. My son I call him brat boy...but they far from brats.
    My niece is very bratty, it makes me not want to be around her...my nephew is a sweetheart not sure how she is so different.
  • Let her break it. She wont get her way AND she'll be out a leap pad lol.
  • Or better yet take the leap pad from her, and tell her that if she can't respect her belongings then she can't play with them.
  • @mom2mckenna I have similar problem from my 5yo step daughter except her mom is one yelling her she doesn't have to listen to anyone but her mom. She is in kindergarten and even got in trouble there for not listening and she told her teacher "your not my boss my mom is ". She is beyond brat she doesn't listen and is constantly pushing her luck with us. And lying I don't even want to get started on that she tells us lies all the time and she gets caught up in lies at our house and gets punished accordingly. She lies at her moms house to though and she told her mom that my 3yo hits and kicks her and that we don't do anything about it. Her mom text my phone and was yelling at me about how im a bad parent for not punishing my daughter for doing that stuff when I text back I told her she had it all wrong. Her daughter wanted a toy that my daughter was playing with so she tried to take it we sat her in corner for taking something from someone else. Then when she got out of time out she went over and slapped my daughter and when she did her fingernail caught her face and she cut my daughter then sat on floor in front of couch with no toys and no tv for the next 2 hours and had her hand smacked.her mom them picked her up and she told her a lie so her mom would yell at me. I told my step daughter and her mom that her mom don't scare me and that the playing the parents against each other had to stop or she was going to only get to come over when my kids aren't there which is hardly ever cause they don't really stay anywhere.
  • edited March 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I have a 4 & 2 yr olds that are both very bratty. I am at my wits end with them.
  • First let me say... I totally understand where you're coming from. I was once a step mom and once I was divorced I mad a vow NEVER to date another man with kids. Being a step momma is the hardest thing in the world.

Ok.. now let's talk about the kid! You really have to take a step back and try and understand the child. You think you're going through a lot... Imagine what that child is going through? Don't you wonder why they're acting the way they do?

As a step mommy we actually can be a bestfriend because you have to realize you will NEVER be the mommy... step mommies have no authority..we get done like shit.

Try not to look at the child as an extension of the mother or even an extension of her father whos your spouse and isn't trying to make it easier for you.

Get to know her... After 8 years of marriage my last 2 years of it I finally started to enjoy my step daughter.. I saw how her mom and dad corrupted her and they were so busy arguing to pay attention to her.

I spent 8 years being annoyed when she could have really used my support and friendship because her dumb ass parents were too self centered and using her for their personal vengeance.

#JustSomethingToThinkAbout. ;-)
  • Since you are not her mother there's not much you can do.. parenting should be her parents problem. Maybe you can try to ignore the things she does or try talking to her but in my opinion you should let her dad and mom discipline her. I know you are with her dad.. but she still isn't your kid
  • @janet_2011 I agree... @mom2mckenna don't be like me and let the situation drain you emotionally. Push her off onto her dad and let him be stressed over it
  • My 12 year old acts like a brat but has been through a lot the last few years with deaths in the family and moving. But she's also a preteen. I have felt with lots of brats. One thing I do is let them know that I'm in charge they aren't. I also try to see what is causing it. Plus the good behavior reward system works. Just tell her good things come to those who don't lie or misbehave. Try to figure who her ideal role model is and tell her that they would be sad if they found out she was doing this. Ect. I hope you guys can get her figured out. I notice at that age it's common for this phase