Riley's 2nd Scan

edited March 2012 in Babies Health
Riley had his second scan on Monday and it shows the left kidney and ureters are still swollen. After my last meeting with the pediatrician I know this now means they will have to send him for more tests (don't know what they will be yet) as they really should have gone back to normal by now. Gutted for my little man :-(

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Me too! Thanks hun (*)
  • Does he have hydronephrosis of the kidney that's what my daughter has might have spelled it wrong. She gets uti alot and is in daily medication for it. How old is urs and how long between scans.
  • My son had severe hydronephrosis in both his kidneys he has to hey an MRI done the 21st and then when he's 8/9 months old he will have surgery on one of his kidneys and 2 months later surgery on the other he's 6 months and we go to Helen Devos children's hospital at least once a month
  • @mackenzies_mama2010 my daughter has it in both kidneys as well what grade did they say he has hers is 2 on one side and 3 almost 4 on the other side plus one side is larger as the other side is smaller.
  • His is a stage 4 on both sides his urologist said its one of the worse case he's seen but he's not on any meds or anything
  • Yes, hydronephrosis. I'm not sure on what stage it is, I am in UK so don't know if its graded like that here. He had it in both sides, kidneys and ureters both swollen. He has been on antibiotics since birth to prevent UTIs. He had a scan in Dec that showed left kidney was back within the 'normal' range of 0-10 (it was a 9) but the right side was still swollen and the ureters too. Went back for 2nd scan Monday and that appears to still be the case. Couldn't see any blockage or anything so not sure what the problem is. I have to phone Monday for official results with pediatrician then meet up to discuss what's next.

What surgery is your son having @Mackenzies_mama2010 did they find a blockage?

@Eeyore I hear its a lot less common in girls. Riley is 4 months old, he had a scan at about 1 and half months and a scan Monday at 4 months. How old is your daughter? Riley is on meds to prevent a UTI, has been since birth
  • Yes it is a blockage
    They are pretty much going to go in and cut the blockage out
  • edited March 2012
    I bet you are pleased it will all be sorted although scary for them to have an operation. I'm just worried as there is no obvious cause for Riley's at the moment @Mackenzies_mama2012
  • Doesn't always have to be a blockage. Layla is 3 her problems are that the tubes are dilated and there for when she pees they dont close off letting urine back up to the kidneys so she never really voided her whole bladder.
  • Yes As scary as surgery on my baby is I want to get them done so he can heal and what not .
  • That's what the doctor said could be happening to Riley @Eeyore but don't know why it is happening

I'm sure he will do great @Mackenzies_mama2010 and it will soon be a distant memory! Good luck and let us know how the surgery goes (*)
  • @littlenat86 sometimes they are just born that way. What medicine do they have him on? Next time u talk to the doctor tell him that u have friends in the us that mention a grade level and see what they say.
  • I will, I know when they first detected it at 30 weeks pregnant they said it was moderate and just in 1, then at 36 weeks it went to both and they said more like the severe end of moderate. The pediatrician said after his first scan they would normally measure 10 or under, his left was a 9 so back in the normal range but his right was 12 or 14 I believe. He is on Trimethoprim its an antibiotic, he has to take it every night and is currently on 1.4ml. I have to adjust it according to his weight. Have they told you what might happen in the future @Eeyore I worry about potty training and everything and am always scared he might be in pain although he is a very contented baby. How old is your little girl? X
  • I say don't push the potty training let it happen when there ready the last thing that u want to do is cause him to hold it cause he doesn't want to use the potty my daughter was 3 and half when fully potty trained except for night time she wears pull ups. She is just now 3yrs 8 months now. They said that we will discuss surgery later if she keeps getting infections so. For for the last yr and half no infections so were good on that front she takes 3ml of Bactrim nightly. @littlenat86
  • Thank-you @Mom2ING xxx

@Eeyore that's good - no infections!! I worry about him taking these antibiotics long term as well, they really push the fact over here and won't give antibiotics out for any little thing anymore yet he has had them every day for 4 and a half months! That's great with the potty training too, my oldest was 2 years 4 months when dry (3 years 5 months now and still wears a pull up for bed too) but I work with kids and have so many whose parents tried to push potty training while they are too young so I definitely would wait till he is ready! Phoned the hospital Monday and still not had my promised call back so I am calling again this morning to find out what is happening for definite!