Finger foods/snacks

edited March 2012 in Solid Foods
When did you all start giving your LO those little gerber finger foods or other little cut up things they can eat? This is my second child but I just cant seem to remember it all. Jaksyn is 6 months and just started having two meals of baby food a day, and I just didnt know when I could start giving him those little snacks to learn to eat with his fingers.... he has no teeth either (but my older son didnt get any until 15 months so I'm not really worried about the chocking bc he ate fine). Also, do you just give them to him after his meal? Maybe I will do that just until he gets the hang of it, or do you have a set snack time? I'm thinking giving him his meals and then giving him some of those for now right after so he can play with them and learn bc I'm sure he wont be filling up on them and getting over full at this age. I know with my older son he had a snack time everyday between lunch and dinner where he would get some juice and a snack but I dont think that was until around 9 months or so.... any ideas???

Comments

• I started giving my son Mum Mums at about 6-7 months. He loves them and squeals when he sees the box. I give them to him whenever. Usually when he is fussy and I am trying to get stuff done around the house, at dinner at a restaurant and in the car.
  • edited March 2012
    I started around 6 months, the Gerber ones are always great because they pretty much dissolve in your mouth...my daughters favorite is the freeze dried yogurt things....she loves those! But she also likes the cheese puffs...she used to like the star puffs but lost interest in those as soon as she tried the yogurt ones lol. She really loves regular yogurt though...she eats it every morning, could be why she loves the finger food Gerber yogurt. But your baby should do fine...My daughter has no teeth still and she's always just been a good"gummer" lol...she likes mum mum too, she likes feeding herself those, they're like a rice cake
  • I gave them when baby could grab stuff on her own using her thumb and finger together!
  • I started my daughter wit num mum rice cookies when she was 6months
  • They say when ur baby has 2 teeth
  • @everyone thanks im going to give him a few this weekend to see how he does.

@RaylansMommy1 thanks but I don't think that will work. My oldest did not get his first teeth until he was 15 months old and he followed a normal eating schedule, and was on only table foods by twelve months. We had to cut things maybe smaller then normal, but if we waited for teeth he would be eating pureed food forever!
  • Usually when they sit on their own. My son started around 6 months. I started with the puffs they are like cereal...they dissolve quick and less chance of choking. Once he got that down I moved to the Gerber cereal sticks he would just chew on them , he also had teeth my 5 Mon
  • @captivated and @summergirl22 my son is almost 6 months so I bought the mum mums and gave him one he doesn't have teeth , but with the first bite he broke off a huge piece into his mouth. I panicked , and pulled it out his mouth. He was so upset that I took it away! Was that normal? And should I try again?
  • Its normal :) Just keep an eye on him.
  • Yeah that's ok, lol...just keep your eye on him....don't pull it out unless you see him gagging or something close to it...I mean he will be good with those...try holding it for him at first so he knows to chew off a little and then you can just let him hold it and he should get the hang of it
  • @wyattsmommy aren't they awesome! I was like where were these when my son was a baby?! Lol....my son likes them now Haha he's always asking for some when he sees his sister eating them lol
  • edited March 2012
    Yeah I do the same...why would you try to make your child eat something you have no idea what it tastes like lol...and yeah they melt so fast, she's never ever had a problem with them, they're awesome lol and they have all kinds of flavors :)
    @wyattsmommy
  • My son is 6months today & I just started giving him rice rusks about 2weeks ago & the Gerber Lil Crunchies (veggies) last weekend. He loves them! & im assuming he was ready because as soon as I put them on his tray he knew what to do with them :D
  • SO... I tried giving him a couple different finger food snacks, like the star puffs, this weekend. It did not go very well, he really did not even care to try and pick them up. He looked down at them and I tried to put them in his fingers and have him eat them. Every time I tried to give them to him he didnt notice... so his older brother came over and ate them. Is he just not ready?? I really wish I remembered more from when Logan was a baby... do I just keep putting them there and one day he will pick it up and eat it? He turned 6 months on the 13th so maybe he just needs more time. Any suggestions on how to teach him to pick it up and eat it?
  • Keep giving them. Maybe try giving them when others are eating so he can mimic them. But he might just not be interested. My aunt who's been a family Dr for 30 yrs told me the pincher reflex (using the fore finger & thumb to pick stuff up) often doesn't kick in till 8 months, and so that's often when they develop more interest in snacks.