*stretch and sweep*

edited March 2012 in Third Trimester
Ok ladies!! I will be getting a stretch and sweep in either 2 or 3 weeks and was wondering what I could do to prepare my body for it so that it will actually work?? I'm taking epo and rasberry leaf tablets already. I know its only a 50% chance it will work so I want to know what I can do to push it into the "worked for me" category!!
And what can I do afterward to ensure it will work once again. Any success stories would be great and please add how far along you where! Xox

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @mom2ing thanks!! I had my car ridden off so I walk my daughter to school and back and since doing that my doc said bubs has dropped heaps!!
    @jdensma umm dunno, guess I'm just excited??
  • I use to walk everyday the last couple weeks and drank raspberry leaf tea and ate fresh pinapple and I had my daughter at 38.5 weeks
  • @joshuaswifey_711 thank you! I can't do any self induction just yet although I had one slice of fresh pineapple yesterday (yum yum) but I will be juicing pineapple a few days before the s&s to help my cerrvix ripen for the best possible outcome. Its soo hard not to eat it cause I LOVE pineapple! Can I ask? Did it give you the runs? I got the runs very bad last nite sorry TMI but it was 5 hrs after eating the ONE slice of pineapple so I dunno if that's what caused it?
  • mine didnt work, but ive been told that thr later along you are the more effective it is, and walking always helps!
  • I have read that if you are inserting EPO vaginally, that you should not do it after you have your membranes swept. So if you are inserting vaginally, just a warning. I don't know much about the other stuff!
  • @joshneviesmum yeah I was thinking that. He said that 37 might not work but that's ok because I didn't want to go that early but if he does give me one then, it will just be to prepare for another at 38. I think he is trying to avoid a medical induction because my hospital doesn't really let you go over and I went 2 weeks over with my first.. I have a friend who is seeing him to but its her first and she isn't allowed one until 40 weeks. I think he is giving me one because he knows what my last labour was like.
    @second_time_mommy7 THANK YOU!!! That was def one of my questions! I havnt begun to insert yet because its too early but I will be next week :) I have read a few ppl inserted one after a s&s but I don't feel its safe :s I will def ask my doc though :)
  • The only thing that increases the chance of it working is being dilated and effaced to a good amount prior to getting it done. :)
  • And they won't strip your membranes unless you are at least 1cm dilated already.
  • I did insert after and I had plecenta abrouption not sure if they are connected in any way but I know they could be, we never found out what caused it and I didn't find that article until I was searching for answers on the abrouption.
  • @captivated I wasn't dilated at all when they stripped mine. Maybe that's where my problems came from. Do you know why they won't?
  • @mummy_to_be BTW my doc said it was ok to continue after I had mine done, I read you weren't suppose to continue everywhere online
  • edited March 2012
    @second_time_mommy7 My doctor told me because they can't get in there right with out the chance of causing risk. For example it can cause bleeding. Short term afterwards no big deal, long term like for days could mean the doctor ripped or torn something. That's just what my doctor told me when I asked.
  • @heather3rdgirl thank you, my daughter is 7 months and I'm still trying to figure out what causes me abrouption. Lol
  • With my second they stripped my membranes without me being dilated at all. I had no problems with delivery.
  • No it didnt give me the runs.
  • @captivated yeah I hear the same thing about dialation. I'm having the epo and rlt for that reason :) and going to drink fresh squeezzed pineapple juice before :)
    @second_time_mommy7 oh no!! I will def be asking my doctor but if your doctor told you it was ok and then that happened I dunno if I will trust it :s hmmm and they say you need to be dialated because they can't insert a finger to do the sweep if its shut tight. Maybe you were very soft? And most of the success stories I have read have been when there 2-4cm dialated already. I hope I am!!
    @babynumber3ontheway did the s&s work for you? How far along were you?
    @kristaf22 lol yeah I already stalked your story!! Gosh that was such a painful process for you!!!
  • Yea it worked. Went into labor the next day & dilated from nothing to a 6 in less then an hour. My contractions started at 11:30am & she was born at 2:26pm. I was 38+3. I plan on getting it done with this one as well.
  • @babynumber3ontheway awesome!! That's soo encouraging, I'm thinking of having one done at 38+4
  • @Kristaf22 that's exactly right!!
    Ok ladies I'm 36 weeks today!!! TMI WARNING: So this means I will be inserting my first epo tonight! I think I'm only ment to be inserting one and then at 38 weeks have one inserted and one orally but I forgot and already had one orally :s oh well. Ill read up about it again and confirm later for you all. My doctors appointment is tomorrow so I will find out when I'm having my stretch and sweep and I will also be asking him to do the strep swab and check my dialation and affacement :) wish me luck ladies!!!
  • Nope!!! Never inserting again. Its 5.20am here and I'm soo crampy I feel like I'm about to get a heavy period. @homebirthadvocate is this normal? Even if it is I think ill stop cause it has scared the hell out of me! My baby was sleeping so its taken me ages to get her to move! My heart stopped for a minute! Thankfully she punched hehe. I think I've woken the poor thing up now cause she's wriggling! Just around where her head is, is really tender. Maybe that's what it is and maybe its not the epo? Hmmm I don't know..
  • @homebirthadvocate thank you :) my doc said he has never heard of epo causing cramping so to continue using it :) I was 0cms dialated :( ill write more about it in my "raspberry leaf experiment". Looks like I may go overdue again.