Bit of advice please preglys - needy but lovely baby!

Hi all, any advice appreciated and i know this is all my fault but please no bashing, its my first child and i am exhausted.

Firstly i love my boy (he is nearly 5 months) to bits obviously, he is the most amazing little guy on the earth, so clever and funny and amazing but i have a few probs.

Firstly, he has to be rocked to sleep and sung to and i am just getting worried as he wont even settle with his dad now unless he is super tired, just me. My main prob with all of this is that i will be back to work in july and he needs to be more calm to go to nursery and i know they wont rock him to sleep.

He has a really short attention span, he goes on his mat for about 2 mins then goes nuts to get up, put him in his walker, goes nuts after 2 mins, bouncer for 2 mins etc etc and i am constantly juggling him all day, he has really bad reflux so i cant even think of any cry it out type methods which i dont really believe in anyway but he would just be choking and vomiting in seconds :(

He still wont take a bottle and breastfeeds at LEAST every 2 hours but most the time only for a couple of mins so is too hungry to leave too long for his next feed. The last few days just seeem that he is either asleep, crying or being held but not much in between cos he gets frustrated.

Now if i didnt have to return to work i would just happily ride it out as i LOVE the time i am spending with him however tiring but at some point when he is less fussy food wise he is going to have to be left with someone else at some point for a bit, and eventually spend whole days at nursery so i need a plan. Any ideas appreciated apart from cry it outs as i wouldnt be able to handle the guilt and his being sick but anything else appreciaited :)

He has been standing since 2 months and can stand alone already, loves being read to, chatters alot and seems really bright but just seems to have to be upright and always has been like this since birth, hates laying down, so i think maybe until he just sits up all the time on his own i am stuck? what do u think, thanks!

Thanks ladies and even if anyone has just had a similar experience so i feel more normal let me know!!

Comments

• p.s - he wont hardly go in his pram, always needs carrying or putting in sling unless he is asleep so its hard to do things on my own.
  • My daughter is the same way. Hire a sitter and tell her what needs to be done. Day cares and other services tend to get away with less interaction and activities with kids due to volume.
  • It just seems messed up to pay someone else to bring up my baby i wish i didnt have to :( Also i will be earning about £50 a day but daycare is about £30 a day so anything more im not even going to really gonna earn anything its so hard!
    My mil was meant to be helping out but she has had a mental breakdown over me having a baby and is so jealous she is depressed, calls herself mummy to my baby, let go of his pram at the top of a hill etc etc psycho so that option is out the window too!

Maybe by july he will be very different?!
  • Don't stress, i can assure you he will be a different baby by july, he'll be sitting and probably crawling and earing baby food. My lo is 5.2 months and has changed sooo much in the last week. She used to not like anybody but me and daddy hold her, now she'll go to anyone at least for a bit. She's sleeping and napping better, she gets easier every week, keep your head up!
  • @Kimberly4411 thanks for that :) i think its just cos the weeks r flying by but i suppose hes got nearly his whole llfe to live again before then so will be different but i cant help panic! x
  • O i know the feeling, i almost had a panic attack the other night thinking about my lo starting a summer program 2 days a week in june. I feel like i'm the only one who knows how to take care if her and the only one who loves her as much and would do anything for her. Lol she's my baby and i'll shank anyone that hurts her
  • @Kimberly4411 exactly! I dont want to leave him but gonna have to try something or its going to be a massive blow to us both! I literally havent been apart from him since he was born and my me time consists of hubby holding him while i get to wash and straighten my hair once a week lol. I am a worrier about everything which doesnt help and everyone i have to talk to other than here just says to stop breast feeding and leave him to cry, not helpful :(
  • edited March 2012
    There's something my mommy group refers to as the 4-month wakeful period - when babies this age are just too curious about their world to sleep or sit still. They say it does get better after 5 or 6 months, however. I'm with you, though. I don't want to pay someone to raise my baby. I know it's not an option for lots of mommies (and mums if you're in the UK ;-) ) but since the cost is so much for care, maybe you could consider not going back to work? Find some way to cut expenses and save money to make up for that little bit you won't be earning, or find a way to make a little bit of money from home so you can stay with the baby?
  • My daughter was like that too. At just about 5 months i had to go back to work. I was so worried about it cuz she cried when anyone else held (except my hubby, but even with him sometimes). It only took a couple days of her crying off and on all day before she got use to my sil (who is babysitting her now that i'm back at work). I started supplementing with formula and only nurse at nite & in thr morning.I never did the cry it out, but she started falling asleep when i nursed her at night, no rocking or singing needed.

My point is right around 5 1/2 months she got alot more easy going (idk if it was becuz i went back to work and she was forced to not have me to sooth her all day or just becuz she was maturing). By 6 months she is sleeping thru the nite (9:30pm-7:00am), not crying when someone else holds her and able to sit up and play with toys (she actually entertains herself for small periods of time)

If i were you i would try not to stress about alot will change with your lo by July.
  • You need to try and get him to eat for longer periods of time so thatg. He can go longer in between. Don't let him cry, but try and distract him when he first wants to nurse (change his diaper, play with him, whatever) so that he is hungrier when he eats. Try to gradually increase the times between eating this way. That should help you establish a routine of eat, play, sleep. Keeping him upright after eating should help reflux too. I let my daughter nurse on demand the first two months and it was hard to establish a routine, but now that we have she is much easier! I went back to work at 2.5 months so I know your fear! I still EBF and just pump for her when I am gone. You can do it!
  • Yes, 4 months makes a world of difference. my daughter is nearly 11 months and thinking back 4 months.. She wasn't crawling, talking, signing as much, or cruising. She took shorter naps more often, she was eating ever 3 hours as opposed to every 4 to 5, and she wasn't eating regular table food.

With all that being said, I bet he's completely different babe come July!!
  • @Ourlittlenugget i hope your group are right :) he did just suddenly gt interested inn everything!
    i have cut what i can but i need to make 450 pounds a month just to pay for the bills as hubbys pay doesnt cover it and unfortunately we have a loan to pay off so that takes a chunk too. i have managed to save over 1000 since i have been off work from ebay :) but will run out of things to sell soon lol. Really want to find a way of not working but worried it woulld cause stress not having a proper wage so need to keep thinking.

@2ndtimearound i tried supplementing but he wont take a bottle, i try nearly every day so no way of feeding him milk other than boob :( starting solids gradually so that may help :)

@ready2bmommy i keep trying to get a routine going, then he either catches a bug or has jabs and it all gets messed up again but yeah totally agree i need to try again and get a proper routine going!

He falls asleep at the boob but his day naps has to be rocked to sleep.
  • @LilSugarsMomma thanks i should think he will be, well hope so! its all about the routine i need to sort myself out!! :)
  • I agree with these ladies. Hell be so different in 4 months. So hang in there & enjoy what you can.
  • Oh ebay is a great way to make money! At my town dump there's a spot people leave books and other odds/end others can take for free. Sometimes my husband brings something home for me to sell on ebay...just an idea...;-)
  • Thanks good idea @ourlittlenugget I just sold a bag of old books I found dumped and got over 100 cos they were vintage!

And thanks everyone this is wht I needed to hear :)
  • @three_cats_n_a_baby

just wondered if youve applied for tax credits and healthy start vouchers? you probably have, but just thought id mention it. Also, if youre renting you may be entitled to Local Housing allowance. they base it off of your income so if you arent working and theres just one wage coming in you will probably qualify for se help. we did this so that i can stay home with the kids as my wage after childcare per month was about 200.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.