first words..

edited March 2012 in Babies "First's"
I'm a ftm so I'm curious when I should expect that first word.

Comments

• Madison said mama around 4 months, i'm sure a complete accident cause she hasn't done it since lol
  • Usually around 1. They might say mama, dada, or baba early but its usually just a sound. They don't actually know what they're saying.
  • It's not considered a "first word" until the child actually knows what they are saying. Like @starxoxo9 said, mama and dada are just sounds. Dada usually comes first because "d"s are easier to form than "m"s.

My first word was cookie. I walked into the kitchen, pointed to the cookie jar on the fridge and said, "cuk-cuk". Mommy and daddy are pretty rare first words anyways. Not that it doesn't happen, just more rare. Lol. I have a lot of friends on my news feed that will post or tell me, "my 3 month old just said her first word! Dada!!!" I really want to roll my eyes. Instead I smile and tell them how great it is! :-"
  • My son is 6 months & he's been saying MOMMA since 5 months, he says it when he's hungry :D
  • Well my lo has been saying versions of mom mum mama and same with Dada but I mean her real first word